New app: Twang

1 view

Zach Archer

Jun 21, 2010, 6:44:22 PM6/21/10
to pdxi...@googlegroups.com
Hi everybody. My new app, Twang, went live today! It's free for the
next 24 hours, so if you have iOS 4 installed, please give it a try.
Hopefully it will make you smile! Here's the link:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/twang/id353688232?mt=8

And here's my first grainy video of Twang in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnCMg6MAu8E

-- Zach
http://zacharcher.com/

Steven W Riggins

Jun 21, 2010, 6:59:21 PM6/21/10
to pdxi...@googlegroups.com
Nicely done!

Did you do you own artwork?

Are you using OpenGL for the animations?

Zach Archer

Jun 21, 2010, 7:11:55 PM6/21/10
to pdxi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Steven! The artwork is all mine. It's my first attempt at
"serious" design, so thanks for the positive reinforcement ;)

99% of the visuals are drawn with OpenGL and texture atlases (even the
text). The exceptions are the UIControls in the settings screen, and
the UIScrollView / UIPageControl on the help screen. The UIScrollView
is empty, it handles touch events & dragging, then I reposition the
help pages in OpenGL. The UIScrollView caused performance issues, so I
cheated a bit -- the OpenGL frame rate drops to 30fps when the help
screen is open ;)

-- Z

Steven W Riggins

Jun 21, 2010, 7:20:59 PM6/21/10
to pdxi...@googlegroups.com
Well I think it is a fine job and you should give a talk on how you did things, like OpenGL! I'm trying to learn it and the process is slow going. I'm still at the rendering cubes level.

Zach Archer

Jun 21, 2010, 7:25:01 PM6/21/10
to pdxi...@googlegroups.com
I'd be happy to give a talk, and yes, OpenGL is very difficult! While
my first app (Metal Mouth) was in development, it took 3 solid days
before I was able to draw _a_triangle_ on the screen. I was overjoyed
when I finally got it working.

-- Z

Mike Westby

Jun 21, 2010, 7:44:07 PM6/21/10
to pdxi...@googlegroups.com
Zach,

Congratulations on your new app!  The graphics are outstanding, and no doubt it will be well received.

Mike Westby
2828 SW Corbett Ave.   Ste 140B
Portland, OR  97201

marleneZ

Jul 7, 2010, 2:13:25 AM7/7/10
to Portland IPhone Developers
What a great app - best of luck with it.

Zach Archer

Jul 7, 2010, 2:46:03 AM7/7/10
to pdxi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! Twang has been in the top #5-#8 paid music apps for over a
week. I couldn't be happier.

-- Zach
http://zacharcher.com

Brian Ramage

Jul 7, 2010, 6:17:56 PM7/7/10
to pdxi...@googlegroups.com
Congrats!

What did you do for promotion?

Zach Archer

Jul 7, 2010, 8:39:13 PM7/7/10
to pdxi...@googlegroups.com
Twang was a free download for the first 24 hours (more like 36 hours).
I did what I could to get people's attention -- posted to FaceBook,
Twitter, etc. This "seeded" a couple hundred copies.

I raised the price to $0.99, and there were a couple days of quiet
sales. I filmed a grainy YouTube video of Twang in action, which got a
few hits.

Suddenly, sales spiked. I don't know why it took a few days to catch
fire, but I'm guessing that interval is needed to get "good" at
playing Twang. Then the early adopters showed it to their friends,
maybe?

-- Z

Calvin Rien

Jul 7, 2010, 8:58:37 PM7/7/10
to pdxi...@googlegroups.com
I don't know if you noticed, but you were featured in the new section
of the iphone app store for at least a few days. That's a privilege
not granted to everyone and definitely bumps sales. Might be because
you were one of the few iOS 4.0 apps. Also, it's a great app that's
nicely polished, which helps word of mouth.

Congrats,
Calvin

Zach Archer

Jul 7, 2010, 9:10:44 PM7/7/10
to pdxi...@googlegroups.com
Calvin, I bet you're right! I'm not exactly sure when Apple promoted
it, but last week it was in "New & Noteworthy", and this week it's in
"What's Hot".

-- Z