Next Meetup?

Tracy

Mar 31, 2010, 2:46:04 PM3/31/10
to Portland IPhone Developers
At the Mobile Portland talk the other night, someone mentioned that
there had been talk about the next meetup.. but I can't seem to find
any mention of that..

So, is there a meetup in April?

/tracy

Seth Shikora

Mar 31, 2010, 3:42:03 PM3/31/10
to pdxi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tracy,

I haven't put out anything yet, but I was thinking of making it the first Tuesday of the month from now on. We were also looking to see if PIE was available to host. Calagator looks fairly open on those Tuesdays. Sound good to everyone? I'll put out an announcement if PIE is open, otherwise we can meet at Green Dragon again.

Anyone have anything they would like to present?

Thanks,
Seth.

Zach Archer

Apr 1, 2010, 8:42:24 PM4/1/10
to pdxi...@googlegroups.com
Question from a new member: What is "PIE"?

-- Zach

Calvin

Apr 1, 2010, 11:37:15 PM4/1/10
to pdxi...@googlegroups.com
PIE is a baked dish of fruit, or meat and vegetables, typically with a top and base of pastry.
(See what I did there? That was a good one.)

PIE is actually the Portland Incubator Experiment. It's big room in a building owned by Wieden and Kennedy. It's really close to the Art Institute building in the Pearl. W&K let some people work in there in exchange for periodic access to their genius.

Calvin

Tracy

Apr 2, 2010, 9:14:22 PM4/2/10
to Portland IPhone Developers
So since I haven't been to any previous meetings.. How big is the
group? Have there been other talks?

I'm sure iPad will still be hot... Any iPad development gotchas?

Green Dragon is actually more convenient for me, but probably not
everyone...

Steven Osborn

Apr 3, 2010, 3:53:02 PM4/3/10
to pdxi...@googlegroups.com
Who here has an iPad application (or screenshots of) that would be
willing to talk about it? We could do something like around table
where everyone just talks about the iPad apps they have built/are
building.

I can't think of anything really interesting about the iPad from a
development standpoint, but it opens up a whole realm of possibilities
from the UI/Desgin perspective.

--
Steven Osborn
http://steven.bitsetters.com

Jonathan Karon

Apr 3, 2010, 7:12:25 PM4/3/10
to pdxi...@googlegroups.com
The main additions I've seen are the new font handling, media playback,
gesture, and some new UI controls. I'm pretty excited about the direct PDF
support -- no more rendering to CG for displaying -- and some of the new UI
controls. So yes, all UI-centric updates.

I guess we'll have to wait for OS 4 to see what new infrastructure is
coming.

One thing I haven't seen any formal discussion of is the rumored document
sharing infrastructure. I remember some rumors that we would finally be
getting reasonable ways of passing files back and forth between apps.

~jonathan

Zach Archer

Apr 6, 2010, 9:20:25 PM4/6/10
to pdxi...@googlegroups.com
I see what you did there, Calvin ;) I have to miss tonight's meeting,
hopefully I'll see you at the next one!

-- Zach