rehabbing rooftop tripod for a weather station, networking

Mathew Lippincott

Sep 23, 2016, 7:18:28 PM9/23/16
to pdxhack...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to start collecting weather data, with the intention of adding other atmospheric sensors on the roof of Ctrl-H.

I got the weather station from a work collaborator, and it also came with a Weatherbridge, an embedded Linux server for sending data to Weather Underground and other services.  I'm assuming the thing is a network security nightmare, and would appreciate some help setting it up in a safe manner, and maybe plumbing it into the existing temperature monitoring system.  I can meet up during the week, or at the next open house.

After talking to Jon about places to mount sensors on the roof, I rehabbed the rooftop tripod on Tuesday (pics attached).  On leg was rusted out so I sawed the rusted end off and replaced it with a length of 3/4" PVC piping, then tarred over the replacement foot. I mounted in the tripod a 150cm high T-shaped mounting bar for sensors.

Right now I have a two 7-day passive particle samplers out on the bar for some testing. This coming Tuesday (9/27) I'll be up there to put up an Ambient Weather Home Weather Station (WS-2095).

Mathew
P_20160920_171538.jpg
P_20160920_182229_HDR.jpg

Mathew Lippincott

Sep 28, 2016, 2:19:13 PM9/28/16
to pdxhack...@googlegroups.com
There is now a weather station operational on the roof. You can read windspeed, pressure, and temperature data from the display next to the bitcoin ATM. I'll be working on networking on Thursday.

Inline image 1