Portland Code School seeks advisory board members

Shawna Scott

May 29, 2014, 10:29:14 PM5/29/14
to pdx...@googlegroups.com, pdxg...@googlegroups.com
Hi all!

TL;DR: Recommend awesome technical people for an awesome advisory board!

My org (Portland Code School) is looking for prominent and experienced people in the Portland tech community who would be interested in joining a very low-commitment (8 hours annually) advisory board. We are working toward state licensure, and need the support of experienced industry voices to help guide us through that process and into the future.

If you know of anyone who we should reach out to, please let me know! Feel free to forward the full description included below to any other people or groups that might be interested.

Thanks!
Shawna Scott

-----------------------------------

Portland Code School seeking Advisory Board Members!

Overview of Portland Code School:

Portland Code School (PCS), founded in 2012, provides an educational model where students learn from experienced programmers to build the skills needed to get a job programming in web development.

Our mission is to quickly prepare talented, motivated people for jobs in web development.

It is an intensive learning environment that teaches coding skills, problem solving, how to work as part of a team, and how to communicate clearly with clients and peers. PCS currently offers the following courses: Web Development Primer (Introductory class–required for other courses if no prior coding experience), Full-Stack JavaScript (Evening or Immersion format), Front End Freelancing, and Data Visualization (for intermediate coders).
All PCS students are eligible for our Coders with Kids program, which provides a set amount of free childcare  during their enrollment in any of the classes.
PCS students complete their courses with a team capstone project that they present to prospective employers, whom are part of the growing PCS Employer Network. While PCS cannot guarantee placement at a company, we work hard to match up graduated and recommended students with partners in our Employer Network (currently includes placement agencies such as CorSource, 52 Limited, Vitamin T, etc.) and our goal is to see all of our students get hired in the tech community.

Advisory Board’s Mandate and Focus:

Portland Code School has an initiative to become a licensed Private Career School, as mandated by the Oregon Department of Education. The PCS Advisory Board will support this effort by providing expertise, guidance and approval of the PCS course curricula, policies and admissions criteria.
In addition, they will share advice on our overall business plan and expand and enhance our Employer Network, Internship program, and work readiness / job placement protocols.

Advisor’s Role and Time Commitment:

Board members will meet quarterly, over a two-hour luncheon meeting. Additional time may be spent on committee tasks via email or on-line meetings.  Board members agree to a one-year commitment.

Advisory Board’s Benefits:

Joining the Portland Code School’s Advisory Board will extend one’s circle of contacts, give one new perspectives and ideas while contributing to the development of the Portland Tech industry. Public recognition of partnership will support one’s professional and personal goals. One may also discover new potential customers or allies, and also gain personal satisfaction of helping to steer a growing company to success.

Learn more about us at: