Theory meeting, Feb. 26th

Lyle Kopnicky

Feb 23, 2020, 7:23:27 PM2/23/20
to pdxfunc
Hi folks,

We're going through the MGS 2019 course on Lambda Calculus (http://www.duplavis.com/venanzio/mgs_lambda/index.html). For this meeting, please read the Lecture 5 slides and Chapter 8 of the draft book (linked from the above page).

Wednesday, February 26th, 2020, 6:30-8:30pm

Location:
Collective Agency

3050 SE Division, Suite 245 · Portland, OR

We'll be in the second floor conference room, not in the Collective Agency suite. It's just off the lobby area in the middle of the second floor. Elevator access is available.

Lyle Kopnicky

Mar 1, 2020, 5:10:00 PM3/1/20
to pdxfunc
We discussed System F as described in Chapter 8, but stopped short of the section on Inductive Types.

One point we were a little confused about was how products are constructed in System F. I wrote some Haskell code to show how this could be done: https://gist.github.com/lylek/24963c1565cc691c25c9adb2402416bd. I first did it for fixed types A and B, as in the text, with only the result type being polymorphic. Then I extended that to be polymorphic in the types being paired as well.

Matt pointed out this paper, which he said gave a better explanation of how to derive inductive types.

We'll wrap up the rest of the material next time!

- Lyle