Re: pdxferment - 2 new messages in 1 topic - digest

Michel Pelletier

Oct 1, 2009, 12:28:32 PM10/1/09
to pdxferment digest subscribers

>> Also, did anyone attend the fermentation events that happened here a
>> few weeks ago. I heard that Sandor Katz spoke.
>>

> Yeah, I was there, but it was crazy packed, so I left. The ghost pickles by
> Picklopolis were tasty.

It was crazy packed indeed. I was pouring kombucha in the back of the
room next to Sandor's booth. It was so loud in there, even I could
barely here him when he spoke. Obviously it was so busy I didn't even
see you there Jeff!

I barely got to try any of the other booths stuff. The "Burnside
Brew" made with spruce needle tips was really amazing, would be a
great christmas brew. I tried the wine too, which was great, and
that's about it, I didn't even get to the solid ferments.

I told as many people as I could about this group, I should have
printed up some info or something like that, I don't think anyone,
including the organizers, expected to pack to room to beyond maximum
capacity.

The actual even was great, I said "It's fermented sweet tea" about
1000 times. I also poured about 1000 shots of booch, having gone
through about 5 gallons in one hour going into those little one ounce
paper cups. I also gave away about 20 fresh kombucha mothers in ten
minutes.

The time is ripe for another, bigger, better festival. It could have
been in a room twice as big and still been crowded. No offense to
EcoTrust, it was awesome of them to host it and they did an amazing
job, but their large meeting room is just not large enough, and
knowing what kind of turnout to expect I could bring more kombucha,
mothers, and especially the paper cups which for a few minutes that
night became more valuable than golden pickles. I also think more
exhibitors could come. This mix of professional/amateur fermenters
was a big bonus and I think gave everyone an idea of how social it is.
Although several people didn't seem to get it when I told them the
kombucha mothers were free.

-Mike

Jeff Schwaber

Oct 1, 2009, 1:08:55 PM10/1/09
to pdxfe...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 9:28 AM, Michel Pelletier <pelletie...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Also, did anyone attend the fermentation events that happened here a
>> few weeks ago. I heard that Sandor Katz spoke.
>>

> Yeah, I was there, but it was crazy packed, so I left. The ghost pickles by
> Picklopolis were tasty.

It was crazy packed indeed.  I was pouring kombucha in the back of the
room next to Sandor's booth.  It was so loud in there, even I could
barely here him when he spoke.  Obviously it was so busy I didn't even
see you there Jeff!

You were surrounded by about a hundred people when I saw you. =)

I told as many people as I could about this group, I should have
printed up some info or something like that, I don't think anyone,
including the organizers, expected to pack to room to beyond maximum
capacity.

Yeah. Do you know the organizers? I wasn't able to find an email address for them, but I wanted to follow up with them.

The time is ripe for another, bigger, better festival.  It could have
been in a room twice as big and still been crowded.  No offense to
EcoTrust, it was awesome of them to host it and they did an amazing
job, but their large meeting room is just not large enough, and
knowing what kind of turnout to expect I could bring more kombucha,
mothers, and especially the paper cups which for a few minutes that
night became more valuable than golden pickles.  I also think more
exhibitors could come.  This mix of professional/amateur fermenters
was a big bonus and I think gave everyone an idea of how social it is.
 Although several people didn't seem to get it when I told them the
kombucha mothers were free.

+1

Jeff

-Mike