Apple cider

camo

Jan 26, 2009, 5:33:32 PM1/26/09
to pdxferment
A friend was inundated with apples, and I was wondering if anyone had
tips on how to make cider.

Camo

Jeff Schwaber

Jan 26, 2009, 6:11:39 PM1/26/09
to pdxfe...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 2:33 PM, camo <adam...@gmail.com> wrote:

> A friend was inundated with apples, and I was wondering if anyone had
> tips on how to make cider.

Buy, build, rent, or borrow a cider press. I have made apple cider
using a reasonable quality juicer, and let me promise you that you
will not enjoy it. I cleaned the kitchen four times that day for about
three gallons of cider.

Cider presses are expensive to buy (I've never seen one below about
$350, and usually more than that). Once you've got one though, just
toss the apples in and press. Voila, cider.

For hard cider, make cider. Then put in a carboy with an oxygen trap
and leave it until it stops fermenting. You can rack or filter it, but
I don't think it helps with anything.

Jeff