Re: pdxferment - 3 new messages in 2 topics - digest

gillian beck

Jan 11, 2009, 2:20:21 PM1/11/09
to pdxferment digest subscribers
Hello Jeff & All,

I would like to make cheese in February.  I got two cheese-making books for Christmas, if that's useful (I haven't used them yet and have only made basic farmer's cheese before).

I left some kombucha in the fridge for like six months (in a bottle) and it turned into what friends have described as "kombucha champagne".  Kind of interesting.  Really dry and really fine bubbles.

--Gillian

Leif

Jan 23, 2009, 5:19:52 PM1/23/09
to pdxferment
I'd be into cheese!
I've only made paneer, and seen a chef demo making mozerella at the
farmer's market...
You know if there's uses for all that whey?

-Leif

Jeff Schwaber

Jan 23, 2009, 6:21:51 PM1/23/09
to pdxfe...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 2:19 PM, Leif <abim...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd be into cheese!
> I've only made paneer, and seen a chef demo making mozerella at the
> farmer's market...
> You know if there's uses for all that whey?
>
> -Leif

You can boil it down very, very slowly (takes a day) into gjetost,
which is a brown cheeselike substance that's amazing but also
overpoweringly sweet and intense.

There are whey cheeses you can make, but only if the whey is fresh
(i.e., you can't have cultured the milk before you curded it).

I know so very little that I feel uncomfortable running a cheese
workshop. Sunday, March 1st'd be a great day for a cheese workshop.
I'll make gjetost from any whey left around if somebody wants to
volunteer to lead a mozzarella workshop. Ricotta?

Jeff