hello, new

1 view

Cathy Smith

Oct 21, 2009, 1:44:38 PM10/21/09
to pdxfe...@googlegroups.com

Hello fermenting people –

My name is Cathy, and I make pickles, sauerkraut, kvass, kimchi regularly.  The pickled green tomatoes didn’t turn out, but I did make some really spicy Indian eggplant pickles (fermented) that were rather extraordinary.

Just wondered if there were any groups happening in the Portland area where folks gather to share ideas.  My next big project is to learn how to make miso.

-cathy

 ca...@growingcurious.com

 http://growingcurious.typepad.com

Jeff Schwaber

Oct 21, 2009, 1:57:14 PM10/21/09
to pdxfe...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 10:44 AM, Cathy Smith <ca...@growingcurious.com> wrote:

Hello fermenting people –

Welcome!

My name is Cathy, and I make pickles, sauerkraut, kvass, kimchi regularly.  The pickled green tomatoes didn’t turn out, but I did make some really spicy Indian eggplant pickles (fermented) that were rather extraordinary.

Oh, I'd love to learn how you make your pickles. I've had really scary pickle failures. =)

Just wondered if there were any groups happening in the Portland area where folks gather to share ideas.  My next big project is to learn how to make miso.

We're less a group and more a mailing list. But we have had get-together-and-make-something parties before, and we could again. Want help in your first miso experiment?

Thanks,

Jeff

sarah gilbert

Oct 21, 2009, 2:12:31 PM10/21/09
to pdxfe...@googlegroups.com
I would love to have a get-together soon! I too make lots of pickles
and kim chi and I have a neighbor's enormous plot of kale that I've
been wanting to harvest and make into some sort of fermented food (I'm
thinking a spicy kim chi-type kraut). but there's far too much to fit
into my pickling crock. anyone want to have a ferment-athon any day
soon?

and Cathy, I'm also fascinated with the idea of making miso. I spoke
to the couple behind Jorinja at the People's summer festival and she
told me that making a little miso was how they got into the business;
they had way more than they could eat so they shared with friends.
"you should sell this!" everyone said. she told me it was way more
than a one-family job... you really have to make a lot and your
mold-to-edible product ratio is pretty high, I think.

sarah gilbert
twitter: sarahgilbert
mama . writer . photographer . sustainable food nut . family biking
evangelist . www.cafemama.com

Cathy Smith

Oct 21, 2009, 3:24:18 PM10/21/09
to pdxfe...@googlegroups.com
Sarah and Jeff --

Thank you for the welcome.

Jeff, I'm interested in hearing more about your pickle disasters. I just
use the technique in Sandor Katz's book and have been fermenting the pickles
with grape leaves. I use a Harsch crock, though, and this may be why my
pickles turn out.

Yes, I am interested in help with the miso project!

Sarah, I really love the Joringi miso. It's very "rustic" compared to other
miso. I was pleased to notice that their real estate on the shelves at
Uwajimaya seems to have increased. There is another miso I like (I've found
it at Food Front) called South River Miso (from Massachusetts) that produces
a Dandelion Leek miso that's out of this world. I'm interested in the
possibility of including healthful herbs in a home-made miso.

I have been inspired to consider making miso by this blog post:
http://ieatfood.net/?p=127

She made it look possible. I also liked the idea of getting some soy sauce
out of the project, too. But your comment, Sarah, about there being big
ratio of loss to edible product... that is a fear of mine so I have been
looking at different fermenting vessels. I don't want to have one of my
Harsch crocks (yes, I have two of them! I am so greedy...) busy for a year.
(It's bad enough when the sauerkraut takes three months.) I have been
looking at these:
http://www.culturesforhealth.com/Vegetable-Fermentation-c10
And at this one: http://wokshop.stores.yahoo.net/pickling-jar.html

Has anyone used something like either of these for longer ferments?

I like your idea of making a spicy kimchi with your kale, Sarah. I think it
would turn out great. My kimchi usually has 25 - 50% greens in it. I'm
still playing with the ratio. I think the radish tops are my favorite
addition, but I always put kale in there, too.

Happy to make new fermenting friends!

-cathy