Sauerkraut making - October 25th

Jeff Schwaber

Oct 1, 2008, 2:33:19 PM10/1/08
to pdxfe...@googlegroups.com
Lactobacillus geeks,

Our last meeting was awesome, and in talking about what we should do
in the future, most of us agreed that hands on things are awesome. So
I'm going to lead a sauerkraut making get-together. Gillian has kindly
agreed to host it, as her kitchen is large and friendly.

So, on Saturday, October 25th, at 1pm, come to Crabapple Cottage, at
1427 SE 45th (one house north of Hawthorne)

Please bring (at least) a couple of jars to put sauerkraut in, and
some ingredients to make it with.

Your basic sauerkraut is just cabbage and salt. You can mix in some
other brassicas (broccoli, kale) if you like, or other hardy
vegetables (peppers, flavorful root vegetables both work), but I'd
generally recommend avoiding lettuce, tomatoes, and squash for your
first time. You can, however, add apples or pears if you'd like a
fruity kraut. If you'd like to make kimchi instead, you'll want to
bring bok choy or other asian vegetables (daikon works amazingly), and
ginger, garlic, and chilis (in paste or peppers).

At the bottom are two sample recipes to give you an idea of amounts.

If you have hand tools for shredding vegetables, or a transportable
food processor with grater attachment, please bring it. This will
probably be our biggest bottleneck.

Also, this would be a good opportunity to trade starters.

Jeff

So, two example amounts:

4 pint jars
half a head of cabbage