Re: [pdx-visualization] Re: still meeting?

1 view

Bram Pitoyo

Aug 20, 2009, 5:45:27 PM8/20/09
to pdx-visu...@googlegroups.com, pdxcr...@googlegroups.com, Ross Christian Freeman Levin
Hi Joe,

This topic seems to sync up very well with the PDX Critique group.
Plus, they also meet on Monday. I’ll forward this message to them and
see what they’d think about doing something together.

---

Hi Stacey, Ben and Janet,

The Portland Data Visualization user group is, like many other groups
around town, dormant over summer. This afternoon, Joe Meyer posted to
the group, expressing interest in starting it up again.

The subject that he brought up was this:

> I'd like to participate in a discussion of the new and improved
> data.gov site.
>
> I also have some education graphics I would like feedback on.

This, to me, sounds like a topic that could be perfect for PDXCritique.

Combine this with the Monday meeting time that he proposed—

> DataViz, how about Monday, September 7th?

—that makes me think that it might be good to do something together
around it. What do you guys think?

Warmly,
Bram

benh

Aug 20, 2009, 6:02:57 PM8/20/09
to pdxcr...@googlegroups.com, pdx-visu...@googlegroups.com, Ross Christian Freeman Levin
Hello all involved, I think that PDXCritique would be a perfect venue
for this discussion. Though our next meeting is going to be mostly
social (http://calagator.org/events/1250457557) with the intent of
working out the where/when to meet details that have been so hard to
workout post cubespace. We would love to have you join us and help
with the discussion, though I can not make any promises on time
available to get to a discussion about data.gov as I would really like
to work things out so that we can get back on track.
--
benh~

http://three.sentenc.es/

Robb

Aug 20, 2009, 8:40:11 PM8/20/09
to PDXCritique
Hi everyone,

I'm looking forward to the social gathering. I do have a project I'd
like some feedback on, too - the UX (user experience) of a register /
sign-in / sign-out setup for a website. My goal is for it to be as
frictionless as possible. E.g., avoiding a simple "Sign in" link. (I
believe that no one wants to "sign in". Rather, people want that
thing that's available once one is signed in.) Allowing users to do
as much as possible, and then requiring sign-in when it's actually
required by the system. These goals have to be balanced, though, with
marketing and development plans.

I'm 80% done; the functionality works, and I'm rehashing the UI after
testing in real use. Here's a typical entrance page on the site,
after a google search:

https://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/814.400.html

- Robb

kira...@gmail.com

Aug 20, 2009, 9:22:08 PM8/20/09
to pdxcr...@googlegroups.com
Robb,

We are still meeting, our first priority is to work out where to hols future meetings, when and what people want out of PDXCritique. With that said we do hope to do some small critiques, but I can promise the full shebang we usually do.
See you then.

-Stacey