Re: July 9th: PDX11 Mentoring Hackathon & Kickoff

Bryan Jacobson

Jul 2, 2011, 11:23:04 AM7/2/11
to pdxgroups, pdx11-mentor...@googlegroups.com
Ah yes, I should explain.

ePDX.org (Source is project Citizenry on GitHub https://github.com/reidab/citizenry/)
has much of what we need for a mentor matching website:
- People/profiles
- Sign in via LinkedIn, Google, OpenID, Twitter, Facebook, etc.
- Groups
- Connection with Calagator
- and much more.

I believe Reid is OK with using ePDX/Citizenry as a starting point.
I think it's likely that mentor matching becomes a feature of ePDX and
an optional feature in the Citizenry code base.

A few additional capabilities are needed for a basic mentor matching
website.
* In your profile be able to say: "I can be a mentor and I can help
people learn: <this>."
* Able to say: "I'm looking for a mentor and I would like to learn:
<this>."
* Ability to match with (or simply browse through a list of) mentors
and people looking for mentors.
* Some ability to send messages: "I'm looking for a mentor to help me
<this>. Are you available? Can we get talk?"

The goal is to get those working on Saturday.

Thanks,
-- Bryan