Data Viz Meetup #6 - Tentative Date

Amber Case

Aug 21, 2012, 2:33:59 PM8/21/12
to pdx-visu...@googlegroups.com
It's been a while since the last data viz meetup and I know there are a lot of people out there with great new work to show off. I'd like to run a potential event date by everyone to see if it is feasible. I talked informally with a few others to see their availability and this date seemed to be the best one.

How is Tuesday, Sept 18, 2012 from 6-9pm?

We can host the event at Geoloqi HQ this time, which is centrally located in downtown and easily accessible by a number of transit modes.

Due to space restrictions, we'll need to cap the event at 50 people. If the date is reasonable, I'll put up an Eventbrite and Calagator link, as well as a blog post.

There have been suggestions for the group to meet more often in the future. Do you agree, or do you like the infrequency of the meetup? Do you think once every 3 months would be better?

Best,
Amber

---

Amber Case

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Aug 21, 2012, 3:24:24 PM8/21/12
On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 11:33 AM, Amber Case <caseo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's been a while since the last data viz meetup and I know there are a lot
> of people out there with great new work to show off. I'd like to run a
> potential event date by everyone to see if it is feasible. I talked
> informally with a few others to see their availability and this date seemed
> to be the best one.
>
> How is Tuesday, Sept 18, 2012 from 6-9pm?

Works for me.

> We can host the event at Geoloqi HQ this time, which is centrally located in
> downtown and easily accessible by a number of transit modes.
>
> Due to space restrictions, we'll need to cap the event at 50 people. If the
> date is reasonable, I'll put up an Eventbrite and Calagator link, as well as
> a blog post.
>
> There have been suggestions for the group to meet more often in the future.
> Do you agree, or do you like the infrequency of the meetup? Do you think
> once every 3 months would be better?

Once every three months would work, although there are other groups
with overlapping interest that meet more often. There's a "big data /
data science" group that meets monthly now, and there's an R
programming group that also meets monthly.

I'm wondering if between these three groups there's enough of a
"crtical mass" to support a one-day unconference - a "dataviz camp",
as it were. I can bring the subject up in the other two groups if
people here want to do something like that.

> Best,
> Amber
>
> ---
>
> Amber Case
> caseo...@gmail.com
> http://caseorganic.com
> (503) 729-8632
>

> --

Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; Computational Journalism Publishers
Workbench: http://j.mp/QCsXOr

How the Hell can the lion sleep with all those people singing "A weem
oh way!" at the top of their lungs?

Amber Case

Aug 22, 2012, 1:23:55 AM8/22/12
to pdx-visu...@googlegroups.com
All set!

(Realized it was data viz #7)

Portland Data Viz #7
Tuesday, September 18, 2012 from 6–8:30pm

Judah McAuley

Aug 27, 2012, 11:04:20 AM8/27/12
On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 12:24 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <zn...@znmeb.net> wrote:

Once every three months would work, although there are other groups
with overlapping interest that meet more often. There's a "big data /
data science" group that meets monthly now, and there's an R
programming group that also meets monthly.

I'm wondering if between these three groups there's enough of a
"crtical mass" to support a one-day unconference - a "dataviz camp",
as it were. I can bring the subject up in the other two groups if
people here want to do something like that.

Are you familiar with InfoCamp PDX? It started up this year as a one day unconference and will be back this year as a two day event. It is local version of the InfoCamp series that started in Seattle several years ago. It tends to focus on areas like UX, IA, taxonomy, data visualization...pretty much the information organization and presentation side of things. I did a talk last year on information sharing in a health care context but there was also a great talk on how data visualization works, a paper and pen prototyping hands on break out, etc. Given that it is expanding to two days, I bet that if we got enough people from the data viz community there could be a track focused on that.

The (rather minimalist) website for InfoCamp PDX is here: http://portland.infocamp.org/

InfoCamp Seattle is coming up in October, btw, and that may be of interest to a number of folks here. I can't make it this year but it should be a great time as always, I'd suggest checking it out.

Cheers,
Judah