Datagrids Presentation at

Ryan Miller

Jan 16, 2013, 1:37:23 PM1/16/13
to pdx-visu...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

I have a love/hate relationship with datagrids.  On the one hand they aren't always the best way to visualize data, but thanks to spreadsheets, it's what many people want in their apps, especially for sorting and filtering large data sets.  On the other hand, they present some interesting design and engineering challenges.  When I started work at Marin Software last year I was really excited about the data visualization opportunities and I decided to start with the datagrids that are heavily featured in the app.  For the past several months the Portland team has been working on integrating Solr search with OLAP analytics and pulling the data into a new and improved JavaScript datagrid.  Tomorrow night at PDX-UX I'll be presenting on that work with our UX designer Daniel Spirn.

The talk will focus on the UX of datagrids and our client side implementation, but a few of our backend guys will be there to answer questions.

I'll also be promoting our upcoming recruiting event at the Ace Hotel on Feb. 1st.

thanks,
Ryan Miller