Hosting a second Calagator instance for open source outreach events?

Asheesh Laroia

Aug 10, 2014, 1:40:08 PM8/10/14
to pdx-tech...@googlegroups.com
Hi all!

A few years ago, I wanted to set up an instance of Calagator oriented at open source outreach events, not just events in Portland, OR. As I recall, Clara Raubertas and I set up such a thing, but then we forgot about it, and didn't e.g. maintain it.

The OpenHatch events list is a community that shares notes on about outreach, education, and diversity. We are organizers of free software outreach events, hackathons, project nights, and programming meetups. Most of these are run independently by enthusiastic volunteer organizers; some are run by OpenHatch.

Many of us share ideals of open source, gender and other diversity, and reaching out to newcomers to welcome them to our communities. Some of us run OpenHatch-affiliated events.

We're all here to help and learn from each other. If you're thinking about organizing such an event, have questions about what curriculum to use, or want to share your experiences, join the list and introduce yourself!

I was wondering -- do you think that having a second online instance of Calagator, but not for Portland events, but for events that are about bringing new people into open source, or software tech outreach generally, might be something Calagator people could support by running a second instance?

We can possibly/probably find OpenHatch-y people to curate the contents of the calendar.

I saw on Calagator that you have a sprint today! I hope that your sprint is super fun and productive. If the quick answer is there isn't time from your amazing community to support this, that's just life. (-: I thought I'd bring up the idea, though.

-- Asheesh.

Mark Dilley

Aug 10, 2014, 2:53:42 PM8/10/14
to pdx-tech...@googlegroups.com
Not sure if this is of interest or on topic, apologies.  I am a volunteer curator of ActivateHub Detroit, an offshoot of Calagator. There are 3 or 4 cities participating, in addition there is a Northwest Climate Change Calendar working on the project too.

Best, Mark

Activate313.org