Launch Night Meetup

mdcox

Apr 18, 2015, 12:51:00 AM4/18/15
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com
Hey all!
Let's get a big meetup/bash together for the 1.0 launch on 5/15!
We'll need a venue and a general idea of how many people are going to be there so we can get stuff sent from Mozilla (Rust shirts! Woo!)

Anyone have any plans in the works yet or are we starting from this post?
Let's have an awesome 1.0 everyone,
mdcox

Jim Blandy

Apr 18, 2015, 7:31:58 PM4/18/15
to mdcox, pdx-...@googlegroups.com
I can see if the Mozilla space is available on May 15th.

mdcox

Apr 18, 2015, 8:44:18 PM4/18/15
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com, mattc...@gmail.com, ji...@red-bean.com
That'd be awesome if you could check that.  If it doesn't work out I can check Epicodus and New Relic as well since they like hosting these sort of things, but Mozilla seems very apropos.

Anyone have ideas for speakers/events/happenings that should be a part of this?

Jim Blandy

Apr 20, 2015, 2:05:26 PM4/20/15
to mdcox, pdx-...@googlegroups.com
I've put in a request for 5-8pm Fri May 15th. There didn't seem to be any prior reservation for the space. I've never done this before, so we'll see how it goes.

Jim Blandy

Apr 23, 2015, 1:56:42 PM4/23/15
to mdcox, pdx-...@googlegroups.com
Okay, the Portland Mozilla public space is reserved from 5-8pm on Friday, May 15.

Where should we post this to make sure Portland-area Rustaceans will see it?

Zack Pierce

Apr 23, 2015, 2:00:12 PM4/23/15
to Jim Blandy, mdcox, pdx-...@googlegroups.com
I'd recommend posting on both Meetup and Calagator (though probably keep the Meetup site as the source-of-truth). EventBrite is another option to pile on that some folks use around here.

mdcox

Apr 23, 2015, 7:48:03 PM4/23/15
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com, ji...@red-bean.com, mattc...@gmail.com
Awesome!
Thanks for getting that set up Jim!
I'll get a meetup page started and once it's up I'll post to it and calagator. I'll also post on r/rust and inform the core team that we are for sure doing this.  I figure most portland rustaceans would stumble upon it on r/portland.

As it's less than a month away, we should really start looking for speakers and a sponsor.  Sponsorship might be hard since no one is hiring Rust devs yet, but it wouldn't hurt to ask around before it just ends up being me footing the bill ;)

As for speakers, I kind of like the idea of lightning talks that we sort of order on fly to increase in needed familiarity with rust.  That way we go from "Way lifetimes are awesome!" to "This is how you use RC" to "Reasoning about allocation" etc and we don't have to worry too much about fresh rustaceans being lost or crusty-rustaceans being bored.  That being said, that's just with me being under the assumption that no one has a larger talk written up.

mdcox

Apr 23, 2015, 8:18:28 PM4/23/15
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com, mattc...@gmail.com, ji...@red-bean.com
http://www.meetup.com/PDXRust/events/222057357/ <-- PDXRust meetup page with the event information!  Join up (so it's not just me :P) and spread it around!

Jim Blandy

Apr 23, 2015, 8:58:47 PM4/23/15
to mdcox, pdx-...@googlegroups.com

Do you have a sense of how many people will show up?

mdcox

Apr 23, 2015, 9:05:05 PM4/23/15
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com, mattc...@gmail.com, ji...@red-bean.com
Not yet no.  When Go first got big there was a meetup that drew ~50 people, only about 20 of which were part of it before for smaller hack-night meetups and I would imagine a similar level of excitement EXCEPT that it's on a Friday.  The Friday thing throws the everything for a loop since traditionally those don't do too well.  I think the best we can do is promote the hell out of it.  I would really really like ~30 people, which I think is reasonable considering the novelty of the event, but I wouldn't mind 8-10 people showing up and hacking on stuff.  I feel like we'll get a better number as we get closer.

Do you have an expectation of numbers?

mdcox

Apr 23, 2015, 9:07:22 PM4/23/15
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com, mattc...@gmail.com, ji...@red-bean.com
Oh, also, upvote for visibility --> http://www.reddit.com/r/rust/comments/33nog4/portland_rust_10_launch_party/
Since it's a little late announcement wise I'm a bit worried it'll get buried.

Jim Blandy

Apr 24, 2015, 1:06:09 AM4/24/15
On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 6:05 PM, mdcox <mattc...@gmail.com> wrote:
Do you have an expectation of numbers?

None whatsoever. :)

Jim Blandy

May 11, 2015, 3:57:52 PM5/11/15
to mdcox, pdx-...@googlegroups.com
Okay, I've got a little budget for catering. There shall be food. Fruits, vegetables, charcouterie, perhaps some Rust-colored cupcakes or something. Rusty bicycle parts for people to chew on.

Jim Blandy

May 11, 2015, 3:58:50 PM5/11/15
to mdcox, pdx-...@googlegroups.com
Do the Meetup announcement and all that encourage people to prepare lightning talks?

mdcox

May 11, 2015, 4:35:49 PM5/11/15
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com, ji...@red-bean.com
Nice!  I was actually trying to find a way to get food there.  I sent out a meetup message earlier asking people for lightning talks (did you get it? Maybe it only messaged certain people or something?) So far the only lightning talk that's been offered is Carl Lerche doing a talk on mio (which I'm pretty excited about.)

I'm going to put one together so we have at least two.  Right now it's really just a "Intro to Rust" overview since I know there will be people who are brand new there, but I know that's been done to death so I'm trying to narrow it down to something both beginner-interesting and not so broad.

I'll send another blast out asking for talks and asking for people to prepare them, I just wanna make sure I'm not spamming.
Thanks for doing so much for this Jim!  Do you want to be listed as an organizer on the meetup account?

mdcox

May 11, 2015, 4:37:04 PM5/11/15
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com, ji...@red-bean.com
Another thing to is if there aren't enough talks we can do the group-Q&A thing that the Python group does and tends to go really well.