Puppet Docker images and tooling

Daniel Dreier

Aug 2, 2016, 2:46:32 PM8/2/16
to pdx-p...@googlegroups.com
During discussion toward the end of the puppet user group meeting last night, somebody asked whether Docker images of Puppet would be published, and I also heard somebody else wishing they could stand up a puppet stack using Docker. I didn't have these links available then, so I'd like to share them now.

Docker images of all the puppet components are available on Dockerhub at https://hub.docker.com/u/puppet/, and an example of standing up a puppet stack using Docker Compose is available at https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet-in-docker-examples/tree/master/compose.

These images were built using puppet-in-docker (https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet-in-docker), which is "A series of Dockerfiles, and the associated build toolchain, for building Docker images containing Puppet and related software."

If you're interested in using Docker and Puppet together, take a look at the other examples at https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet-in-docker-examples. Do keep in mind that these are all currently experimental, and support can't help with issues PE customers might run into using them.

Please give some feedback if you do experiment with any of these tools, because feedback about use cases, bug reports, etc will help them meet your particular use case.

--
Daniel Dreier
Technical Operations Engineer