Wildfire responses

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Sep 10, 2020, 3:27:13 PM9/10/20
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com
I'm seeing some folks on Twitter (community people, some journalists)
looking for help with GIS. I don't have any specific tasks yet. I can
probably hack some things up in R but I'm useless in Python and
next-to-useless in JavaScript unless there's an R package wrapping it.
Can I point people to this group?

--
Borasky Research Journal https://www.znmeb.mobi

Markovs of the world, unite! You have nothing to lose but your chains!

Eli Adam

Sep 10, 2020, 3:51:19 PM9/10/20
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com
(Just my thoughts, others might have different or better ideas.)  Pointing people to the group might be counterproductive if there are too many requests or requests aren't in the appropriate realm.  Moderated requests (via you or someone else who might know what are appropriate requests) might be more useful.  All that depends on availability of volunteers to help with requests.  Maybe that is a better approach, are there volunteers on this list to help people?

On the technical side, joining the list is moderated so no new members will be posting anything until they are approved as list members (or the list config is changed).  Moderated requests via you or others already on the list would of course take care of that issue as well.

Best wishes to everyone, Eli

TC Haddad

Sep 10, 2020, 4:14:37 PM9/10/20
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com

I don't mind if people post questions here, and there are also other lists (like gis-info) that exist where questions can be posted, but most lists have a registration/join step up front (as Eli points out) which might deter some folks. Posting to any list is always hit or miss based on who is paying attention on any one day -  And there are definitely lots of folks who are distracted at the moment by having to react to the current situation.

Basically if the questions are posed we can do our best to answer or point folks in the right direction, as always...

Kristin Bott

Sep 10, 2020, 4:53:19 PM9/10/20
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com
Happy to help out, and also -- as someone who spends a fair amount of time helping people "looking for help with GIS", that can look very different depending on the ask / person / background / etc etc etc.

--
kristin bott (she/her)
associate director | instructional technology services

geografa

Sep 11, 2020, 5:01:21 PM9/11/20
to PDX-OSGEO
Same here 👋. We get a lot of backchannel requests at Mapbox through our Community team. We can't take it all on so if you wish to volunteer, please get in touch with me or our community lead:
We got one request this AM to get a quick count of buildings in the fire perimeter in Oregon. The process was pretty straightforward given the data sources that were readily available:
Made a simple bldg-in-zone selection and spit out a new layer through QGIS. Result was a quick count (5199 buildings) and a map (you need to zoom in pretty close to see the buildings). I'm building a pipeline for converting these datasources to tilesets in case we get continued asks or need updates.