PDX OSGeo -- we're back, baby!

Darrell Fuhriman

Feb 20, 2024, 2:38:43 PMFeb 20
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com
Please forward this to anyone you think might be interested!

Hi, everyone! It's been a while!

tl;dr
PDX OSGeo is back! Come out and geo nerd!
Wednesday, March 20th @ 6:30pm
Portland State University

We'll plan to keep our traditional third Wednesday meeting dates going forward.

The details
Percy and I had lunch last week and we talked about getting the meetings going again. So we're going to make it happen!

We'll use this first meeting primarily to hang out, catch up, and brainstorm ideas for future meetings, so if you've got a problem to discuss, or a cool tool to show off, or something you'd like someone else to talk about, let's hear about it and get it on the schedule.

For example:
  • Percy has an idea for building a map of the best way to tip an election. (I'll let him explain it.)
  • Planning a bigger in-person event, such as:
    • Bringing back WhereCampPDX
    • A Code Sprint
    • Some kind of combo event with our Seattle friends, CUGOS: https://cugos.org/
Did I forget anything, Percy?

So please, let's discuss and plan to see each other one month from today!

PS: While I'm here, I'd love to hear about the best way to communicate -- is still this mailing list, or do y'all have some other ideas/preferences for how best to get the word out?

Darrell

David Percy

Feb 20, 2024, 8:42:08 PMFeb 20
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Darrel, I think you covered it all 😁

EXCEPT, Cramer Hall is locked, so we will need to have someone hanging out by the doors on the side with the StreetCar tracks to let folks in!

After the meeting starts, we will hang a sign in the window with one of our phone numbers to call and be let in.

If you all come up with a better plan for accessing the space, I'm all for it!
Cheers,
Percy

David Percy ("Percy"), M.S.
-Spatial Data Science / GIS
-Instructor/Researcher
Portland State University
-pdx.edu/geology

Justin R. Miller

Feb 21, 2024, 4:06:37 PMFeb 21
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com
I’m cool with mailing lists for getting the word out. Maybe Calagator is worth a look too, though it’s pretty sparse these days. We can help change that though!

I’m pretty far out of mapping since having left Mapbox, but always interested to see what folks are up to. Looking forward to it.

JM

Darrell Fuhriman

David Percy

Mar 20, 2024, 11:34:40 AMMar 20
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

I hate to do this, but I need to cancel the meeting tonight. Darrel is sick, and my daughter is coming back from college today.

Let's plan on meeting next month on April 17th.

I will circulate the information on campus to the Geographers and others, so maybe we can boost our local involvement. I think there are some folks on campus who use FOSS for their GIS work, we'll see!

Apologies for the late notice, I REALLY look forward to getting this rolling again,
Cheers,
Percy