GIS in Action '22 needs some OS goodness

David Percy

Jan 28, 2022, 2:30:14ā€ÆPM1/28/22
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com
The regional GIS conference called GIS in Action is happening this year Apr 18 - 21 as a virtual event on Zoom.

It is organized by one of our "parent" organizations[1], OR-URISA, and we sometimes help put the program together by finding some good talks on open source GIS.

Is anyone willing to steward a session? three talks is sufficient, but you can squeeze in four if you need to. talks are usually 20 minutes.

We could also do a lightning talks session, or sub-session! I like lightning talks! šŸ˜

There's a lot going on in Python and R with geospatial analysis. does anyone have something they would share?

Thanks for helping!
Percy

[1] our other "parent" is OSGeo

--
David Percy ("Percy"), M.S.
-Spatial Data Science / GIS

TC Haddad

Jan 28, 2022, 10:39:58ā€ÆPM1/28/22
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Percy,

Thanks for bringing this up - is the conference expected to be in person this year? I realize that is a difficult question, but just curious because it might affect who is able to be in the session...

Tanya

Darrell Fuhriman

Jan 29, 2022, 1:00:24ā€ÆPM1/29/22
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com
What do you mean by "steward"?Ā  Like help run it on the day, or like "find a bunch of people to talk"?

Darrell

On Fri, Jan 28, 2022 at 11:30 AM David Percy <per...@pdx.edu> wrote:

David Percy

Jan 29, 2022, 4:57:36ā€ÆPM1/29/22
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com
Hey, thanks for theĀ interest!

The conference will be all online again this year. I pre-recorded my talk last year.

For helping with the sessions we just need someone to help corral some talks that could either go into a separate OS-themed session, or get worked into the regular themes, which are currently:

Potential Sessions:
Emergency Management
Healthcare
Oregon Rulemaking/Politics/PP
Remote Work/restructuring Businesses
Utilities (Gas, water, Electric, etc.)
Clean water
mapping for indigenous communities
Mapping Forest use among Latinx populations
Clean Air Project

Thanks!!!

Eric Nielsen

Jan 31, 2022, 1:33:16ā€ÆPM1/31/22
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Percy,

Could I suggest that the "mapping forest use" session use any term other than Latinx, which is an activist-originated term imposed from outside these communities? While the term may be appealing to some progressives in Portland's bubble, multiple surveys have shown that only 2-3% of people from these backgrounds use or prefer this term [1,2]. In fact only 25% have even heard of the term [2,3].Ā  Attempting to be inclusive by using a term that is so clearly imposed from outside those communities seems counterproductive at best.

I'd suggest returning to "Latino" (or even "Latina" as that is in gender agreement with la gente--people). "Latino" is apparently more broadly used than "Hispanic" in the western US and does explicitly exclude Europeans.Ā

Just my thoughts--I'm sure counter-arguments can be made but I'd rather hear them from folks from those communities (which I am not).

Eric

David Percy

Feb 12, 2022, 8:02:06ā€ÆPM2/12/22
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I know there are some really talented and creative people on this list doing interesting things.
šŸ˜

I'm happy to organize the OS session, if we can pull one together. But I need a couple of people to volunteer to do some talks.

I'll keep this thread open until early March, we're trying to finalize the sessions by mid-March.

David Percy

Mar 9, 2022, 2:55:49ā€ÆPM3/9/22
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com
We're getting ready to finalize the program, so any additions at this point would be great!

Lightning talks in the range of 5 minutes are always nice...

Open source talks can be worked into the regular program, as opposed to a separateĀ track, also.
Thanks for spreading the word,
Percy