quiet times in the little village

Brian Wilson

Aug 3, 2021, 3:37:31 PM8/3/21
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com
Greetings from far off Astoria in the northwestern provinces.

I think the last message that was posted here was in May so I thought I'd ramble. Warned, you have been. Stop now.

I've been messing around with trackers and I set up an instance of Traccar
(see https://traccar.org) I tried out opengts some time back.

The traccar phone client currently puts me on a street I have not visited in months. So I can't say the client is impressing me. You might be able to see it at https://traccar.wildsong.biz/

I also have a tracker running in https://homeassistant.io -- that phone app talks to my home server and sends out a message when I enter a geofence. That one is correct. Same phone. It also knows where my keys are, my wife, and her keys. (Using "Tiles")

Each of these solutions is canned, you have to use the matching client app on the phone and the server. Example, traccar client + traccar server = a web map with a dot on it.

I want something more open ended, like, oh, a server that I can log to over a REST api, and then query and create my own dynamic map layers that are incorporated into my own map apps. Pretty much like Esri "Geoevent Server and Spatiotemporal Big Data Store" but not proprietary so I can use my own sensors and data streams and still generate a WFS or WMS layer to include anywhere including in a Esri web app. In other words I want to own the entire stack and all my data but still be able to leverage Esri services and products when it suits MY needs.

The Esri product MIGHT do exactly what I want, (except it's probably all proprietary), but I can't test it because it's $10,000 / year. If you have an unused license for it let me know and I will help you set it up and test it. ;-)   Yeah, Esri Field Maps supports routing and tracking and data collection and all that and Field Maps is FREE but then you need a lot of expensive server software and Creator licenses to save any data and so on. I am working with Collector and Field Maps in my day job but can only unlock the data collection part of Field Maps without spending a bunch of taxpayer $, so, not right now.

In the meantime, what the heck, do you know what's running in there as their proprietary super high performance data store? It's Elasticsearch, which is, well, basically free. Their biz model is free software, pay for cloud, pay for support.

About 2 years ago I started testing Elasticsearch as a free form text search engine and it was easy to work with and easy to set up.

Last night I started configuring a new project to test out using Elasticsearch as a time series data store. The store is running, now I'm adding Kibana because it seemed like an easy thing to do at 11pm at the end of a work day. Ah, that part's not set up yet.

I need to set up a data stream to feed into it.

I wonder how I will pull the data out and make it look like a map or feature service. Oh right, that's what you pay Esri $10,000 for. Well, maybe $2000 for that and $8000 for the excellent phone support? I'll look at that tonight. MAYBE it's part of "Kibana", whatever that is. Easy!!

The project will go here https://github.com/Wildsong/geotrack
I have a few Docker set up files that I forgot to push up there last night.

Since you are still reading,

1 Suggest a better name before "geotrack" sticks. I'd prefer something without "geo" in it.
2 Suggest other geoevent use cases besides the obvious GPS tracker and (ugh) twitter messages (seen that enough),
3 Give me more references. Currently I am reading chapter 6 of "Building Enterprise Javascript Applications" which is about Elasticsearch and blogs at elastic.co including one on time series data storage.

BTW I use Docker to spin up these services quickly, works great, you should be using it.

Back to work I go, cheers.

--
Brian Wilson

Darrell Fuhriman

Aug 4, 2021, 6:15:04 PM8/4/21
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com
I bet you could do something cheaply with AWS Timestream and a lambda.

[time passes]

I mean, I don't know what your end goal is, but it's something to play with. I bet you don't even get off the free tier.

Darrell

Darrell Fuhriman

Aug 4, 2021, 6:18:25 PM8/4/21
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com
It also occurs to me that this could be a fun topic for a meeting and also that maybe we should start having meetings again, unless covid has sucked the energy out of everyone.

I'd really like to go back to in-person, but maybe Delta has ruined that for us for the moment.

Who has opinions? Who has topic ideas? Put 'em right here -- let's breathe some life back into our existences. 😃

Darrell

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Aug 4, 2021, 9:23:43 PM8/4/21
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com
It's kind of advanced but does anyone have any experience with disease
mapping? I've got quite a few books on the subject (in R) but I've
never actually sat down and done it.

I'd hold off on live meetings until we see what the numbers look like
next week. They're climbing again in Multnomah. I don't mind wearing a
mask even though I've got two shots in me but then again, why tempt
fate?
> --

Borasky Research Journal https://www.znmeb.mobi

Markovs of the world, unite! You have nothing to lose but your chains!

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Aug 4, 2021, 9:24:19 PM8/4/21
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com
Here's the most recent (and very advanced) book I have:

https://www.paulamoraga.com/book-geospatial/

Brian Wilson

Aug 6, 2021, 1:56:15 PM8/6/21
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com
[pivots]

Um YEAH, forget what I said about elasticsearch. My set up should scale up from bare minimum resources so that it can run on a free tier or on a battery powered Raspberry Pi in a shoebox*. I went through this sometime ago trying to make a Tomcat server run on a cheap hosting service.

The way I see it, Esri is really targeting Fortune 100 and fed gov as customers and their solutions only scale UP but not DOWN to where the other 99% live.

Thanks for the link, I will read it in more detail tonight.

*I'm serious about the Pi, I could see a search-and-rescue field tracker appliance as a nice use case.

Elasticsearch is amazing and cool, a bright shiny distraction.

Brian