Basic web-based editor needed to collect points

Ian Reid

May 25, 2021, 12:52:42 PM5/25/21
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,
I'm faced with collecting potential sampling locations on about 1.5 million acres of federal rangeland allotments.  The ranchers that run sheep on those allotments are interested in collecting soil carbon data to see if good management is leading to carbon sequestration.
I'm looking for ideas on how to collect that data via a web mapping interface that simply shows USGS topographic, and NAIP imagery, and that allows ranchers and other resource managers to drop sampling points.
The "free" Arcgis Online tools I have access to don't seem to supply this capability.  I can't get the editing capability into an AGOL "web app", and can't figure out how to gather the points in a shape file or other georeferenced form in an AGOL "web map".
I'm always impressed with the cool stuff you all do with FOSS4G.  So, any ideas?  I'm looking for a free or cheap, very simple but stable tool, a one-trick pony (plus toggling basemaps).
Thanks for any ideas -
Best regards,
Ian Reid

Darrell Fuhriman

May 25, 2021, 12:57:41 PM5/25/21
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com
Are you looking for a mobile application, or just something for doing at home on the desktop, or something that can do both?

I don't know what you consider cheap, but the one that comes to mind for mobile data collection is Fulcrum. https://www.fulcrumapp.com/

Darrell

Eli Adam

May 25, 2021, 1:11:13 PM5/25/21
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com
"1.5 million acres of federal rangeland allotments" makes we question whether there will be mobile data connectivity which can add a level of complexity.

It usually requires more effort on the setup and configuration and somewhat knowledgeable end users (unless it is customized and simplified on the setup), but Geopaparazzi,  Geopaparazzi Survey Server, and SMASH fill this role nicely.  There can be a steep learning curve setting this up and configuring it but it is very capable.   https://www.geopaparazzi.org/#/

Maps.me is generally the simplest offline basemap that can save a single point.  The capabilities are very limited but it is also very easy to use.  https://maps.me/

Best regards, Eli

RJ Sheperd

May 25, 2021, 2:30:17 PM5/25/21
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Iain,

I'll just share the tool that I've helped with called  http://collect.earth . We currently have over 30 NGO's that use it to sample land cover, habitats, etc. It's FOSS as well (https://GitHub.com/openforis/collect-earth-online), if you want to host it yourself.

You can toggle between various WMS feeds, export answers via CSV, and it also has a mobile friendly version. Unfortunately it's not the right tool if you have limited internet connectivity.

Best of luck.

-RJ

Ian

May 25, 2021, 3:40:00 PM5/25/21
to PDX-OSGEO
Thanks for your responses.  I should have specified, I'm not looking for a mobile app.  The users will be on computers at home or office, and placing points based on their knowledge of the land, and topo and imagery basemaps.  The main criteria are they must have topo and imagery basemaps, be able to see the allotment boundary, and place points which can be downloaded in some form that includes geographic coordinates.
Ian

802re...@gmail.com

May 25, 2021, 6:33:10 PM5/25/21
to PDX-OSGEO
If you create an ESRI free developer account, you can access a lot more of AGOL than the free free accounts.
This should get you NAIP, you can add USGS Topo as a TMS map also

802re...@gmail.com

May 25, 2021, 6:34:36 PM5/25/21
to PDX-OSGEO
Should have said, you can edit webmaps or use Collector/Field Maps with the free developer account too if you happen to need mobile ever.