Meeting 4/1

Mitch Besser

Mar 26, 2014, 6:16:41 PM3/26/14
to pdx-mobile...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

My only free evening next week is Tuesday April 1st. Anyone interested? Lucky Lab on Hawthorne? 7pm?

Letting me know earlier helps as I can schedule and post on Calagator.

Here are some other meetings next week for those interested:

Monday
Mobile Portland
Urban Airship
1417 NW Everett St.
Portland, OR 97209

Wednesday CHIFOO

Wednesday
iOS meetup (requires pre-registration)
6:00 PM to 8:00 PM
Plus QA
1319 SE MLK Blvd, Suite 220, Portland, OR (map)

Thursday
Killer Android Group Meeting
2505 Southeast 11th Avenue #300, Portland, OR
6-9 pm

I don't have a lot of details on these meetings, so please confirm the location and times before attending as I may have them wrong.

Mitch

Mitch Besser

Mar 29, 2014, 12:23:17 PM3/29/14
to pdx-mobile...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

It looks like we have enough interest for Tuesday. Does anyone have a suggested location? Should we meet on the west side, ex. Ava Roasteria 4655 SW Hall Blvd, Beaverton, OR 97005. It is a bit crowded for seating and not much for power, but otherwise fine with WiFi. Other west side locations?

Lucky Lab on Hawthorne or Quimby is also an option.

The sooner we can decide the better. I need to post to Calagator and let others know.

Please post to this group site a suggestion by Sunday evening so everyone can see what is suggested. Otherwise, I'm posting it as Ava Roasteria at 7pm on Tuesday.

Thanks.

Santos Cash

Apr 1, 2014, 4:19:20 AM4/1/14
to pdx-mobile...@googlegroups.com
Is this happening on Tuesday? If so, at the Beaverton cafe? If I don't hear back, then I'm going to the meetup over at Puppet Labs.

Cheers!

Santos

Carol Porto

Apr 1, 2014, 12:41:32 PM4/1/14
to pdx-mobile...@googlegroups.com
Still on for meeting this evening at lucky lab 7pm ?

Mitch Besser

Apr 1, 2014, 12:58:03 PM4/1/14
to pdx-mobile...@googlegroups.com
Found the meeting. Looks like we are all going to Puppet Labs tonight.

Motion/events/149586402/
Description

This panel will focus on making money from mobile apps. Two great speakers:

Clint Bowers: A designer, strategist and Founder of Stripe Marketing. Clint launched his first mobile app last month. He did it as an experiment. He gave himself one week from start to finish to get his first app published. This app now has over 200,000 downloads and Clint is making $20 a day off his app. Not bad for a first attempt. Clint wants to share his first-timer insights.

Patrick Thompson: The Founder at Inkstone Mobile and Co-founder at Phase4 Mobile. Patrick is a developer and marketer who 5 years ago started developing mobile apps full-time and has since had over 7 million app downloads. He has 13 apps on the app store including eBook Search, Audiobooks HQ, MegaReader, and QuickReader. Recently he co-founded Phase4 Mobile that will soon be launching a series of sleep-related apps. He has been living off his "App Family" for years and has some interesting mobile money making lessons to share.

Mitch Besser

Apr 2, 2014, 2:03:51 PM4/2/14
to pdx-mobile...@googlegroups.com
I went, did anyone else attend?

russell zauner

Apr 2, 2014, 9:14:05 PM4/2/14
to pdx-mobile...@googlegroups.com
Yes. It was nice to see people being successful, but there weren't any major revelations for me.

Mitch Besser

Apr 3, 2014, 5:19:08 PM4/3/14
to pdx-mobile...@googlegroups.com
Hey Russ, it was nice to finally meet you.

I thought the meeting was good and bad. Here's my take on it:

The Good:

The food and beer... excellent. I'm kind of sick of pizza being the go to at these events. Not that I don't like pizza, just a change up was nice.
The speakers were energetic and seemed willing to chat afterwards.
Some good tips on making money from apps.

The Bad:

The sound system wasn't good. It wasn't loud enough and seemed to have some distortion. Maybe those sitting closer could hear better, but I was in back.
I didn't get a sense as to how much effort really went into the apps. One speaker claimed he took 1 week to make his app, but I don't think that was an honest statement. Either he had a leg up before starting (ex, knew iPhone programming and had all the equipment), or he got extra help from a knowledgeable friend, or he just got a first draft done in a week,... I seriously doubt anyone could make an iPhone game app that made serious money in 1 week from starting knowing nothing. Could be I mis-heard given the sound system, hard to know.

I think they were recording it, so if anyone finds the recording online, you could post it here for others. Maybe I could re-listen and catch what I missed.

Mitch