January meeting this week.

Todd Johnson

Jan 21, 2013, 7:46:45 PM1/21/13
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com
Just a reminder that there's a talk this week, about which I'm excited.

http://calagator.org/events/1250463413

Soren Macbeth is the chief data scientist at Yieldbot, co-founder of
StockTwits.

His talk will describe, "the various problems and solutions that we've
run into at Yieldbot running Hadoop on AWS in the various configuration
that we've used over the years. I'll be focusing on a lot of the weird
edge cases that are specific to running in AWS."

Should be a fun talk, more technical and Hadoopy than we've had in a while.

todd.

Soren Macbeth

Jan 21, 2013, 7:48:04 PM1/21/13
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com
Looking forward to it!

Sterling Paramore

Jan 22, 2013, 2:30:09 PM1/22/13
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com
Just discovered this group today and considering coming to the meeting.  Can anyone come?

Todd Johnson

Jan 22, 2013, 2:31:02 PM1/22/13
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com

Absolutely.

gowri shankar

Jan 23, 2013, 1:31:15 PM1/23/13
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com

 I'm interested in the topic.Should i register for attending this?

Todd Johnson

Jan 23, 2013, 1:37:35 PM1/23/13
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com

No need, it is open to all.

gowri shankar

Jan 23, 2013, 1:41:32 PM1/23/13
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com
That's great. the timing on google calendar shows 10-10:30 PM, but the announcement shows its from 7-8:30. can you confirm, which is accurate ?.

Todd Johnson

Jan 23, 2013, 1:46:38 PM1/23/13
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com
I was not aware that there was a Google Calendar. 7 is the correct time.

gowri shankar

Jan 23, 2013, 1:56:31 PM1/23/13
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. In calagator, there is an option to export to google calendar.

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Jan 23, 2013, 6:03:52 PM1/23/13
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com
Check your time zone settings - mine says 7 PM Pacific

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 10:56 AM, gowri shankar
--
Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; Computational Journalism Publishers
Workbench: http://znmeb.github.com/Computational-Journalism-Publishers-Workbench/

How the Hell can the lion sleep with all those people singing "A weem
oh way!" at the top of their lungs?

gowri shankar

Jan 23, 2013, 6:11:31 PM1/23/13
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com
My Bad. It was in EST. Thanks for pointing it.