November meeting: Big Data? Small Data? How market research experiments add to predictive capabilities.

todd.

Nov 20, 2012, 2:41:10 PM11/20/12
to pdx-hadoop-data-science
We're fortunate enough to welcome in Chris Robson and Scott Laing from
Parametric Marketing in Vancouver in to present this month. Usual time
and place: Urban Airship at 7pm next Wednesday.

Description
Big Data? Small Data? How market research experiments add to
predictive capabilities.

Traditionally Market Research has run highly controlled experiments
and built descriptive models of the data gathered. The data has
typically been anything from a few hundred to a few thousand
highly controlled. Now that we also have access to ‘Big
Data’ (whatever that means) from transactional or social sources, the
question arises: “Is there still value of Small Data and controlled
experiments?” In this lively talk we will show how a blended Small+Big
approach gives our customers the “best of both worlds”.

Chris Robson and Scott Laing are principals of Parametric Marketing, a
Quantitative Research and Advanced Analytics company located in
Vancouver, Washington. Parametric was founded in 2003 to provide
research and analytics services to business professionals and policy
makers. We specialize in analyzing consumer behavior and advising
companies on the financial implications of product, pricing,
promotional and brand decisions. With our expertise in advanced
research, data mining and business & financial modeling, we are
uniquely equipped to help our clients address their most demanding
problems. In addition, Parametric’s extensive development capabilities
allow us to provide outstanding value through both standard reporting
approaches and interactive tools.

http://calagator.org/events/1250463120