Car-free happy hour (with guest presenter) @ Floyd's Coffee Shop, Thurs. July 15

Aaron Antrim

Jul 8, 2010, 3:44:08 PM7/8/10
to pdx-c...@googlegroups.com, Koonce, Peter
Dear car-free and car-light people of Portland:

It's my pleasure to announce that we'll have a guest speaker at the next car-free happy hour, Peter Koonce of PDOT.  In addition to visiting with friends and colleagues, we'll get to hear from Peter and Portland city staff on how they create and optimize signal systems for multi-modal traffic.  We can offer them some feedback as well.  (I'm sure we won't disappoint on that front: in my experience, car-free advocates are never short on opinions they are ready to share openly!)

The details:
Car-Free Happy hour
When: Thursday, 15 July 2010, 5-7 P.M.
Where: Floyd's coffee shop, downtown (118 NW Couch St)

Here's more info on Peter's talk:
Traffic signals in a Carfree World: What would they look like? What has the City of Portland done with traffic signals to support the City's multimodal policies? How do we as a community provide feedback to make them better?

Join us for a facilitated discussion related to the activities being taken to provide preferential treatment at traffic signals for the most important modes in the City. If you have questions about how a traffic signal works or how bikes are detected at an intersection, this is the carfree happy hour for you. City of Portland Signals staff will be available to take comments on your favorite or most despised intersections.

See you there!

--
Aaron Antrim
Trillium Insight, Inc.

Aaron Antrim

Jul 8, 2010, 4:07:27 PM7/8/10
to pdx-c...@googlegroups.com, Koonce, Peter
Oops… I forgot to mention that, while Car-free happy hour begins at 5p, Peter will be talking with us beginning at 6p.

lianagan

Jul 10, 2010, 10:03:05 PM7/10/10
to Portland car-free happy hour
Unfortunately I have a music rehearsal during that time slot. I would
like to address some of he traffic safety improvements urgently needed
on bike boulevards such as the crossing at NE Prescott and NE 37th
Avenue, a blind curve with cars habitually exceeding the speed limit.
There is no way to see what is oncoming in both directions
simultaneously at the crossing point on either side unless you move
out into the lane of traffic and stop to wait for the opportunity to
turn, a dangerous practice in a blind curve. As a result, I never
use that crossing when taking that route. I go a block or so out of my
way to 36th or 35th to cross Prescott. This is one spot that needs a
bike signal badly. I don't want to wait until someone is hurt or
killed for it to happen (like the ped crossing improvements that
belatedly took place at the freeway off-ramp at NE 58th and Glisan.
(There was a lead time implemented for peds crossing before the light
turns green for left-turning vehicles.).

Lisa