[car-free happy hour] May 20th: Carfree Happy Hour, the Jane Jacobs edition!

Eleanor Blue

May 10, 2010, 10:45:32 AM5/10/10
to Portland car-free happy hour
Alright folks

There were a couple excellent ideas in response to my plea. One is longer term and Michael will bring it up on the 20th. Meghan had the more immediate idea of having part of the event revolve around discussing a book. She even had one in mind: Jane Jacobs' the Death and Life of Great American Cities. Neither she nor I have ever read it, and maybe you haven't either and would like the incentive to. Or maybe you read it in college, or maybe you never have time to read books but would like to learn more about it.

Regardless, come on down to Floyds on Thursday May 20th and join the discussion (or just chat about other things on the other side of the room, we aren't going to force this on anyone). I'll try to round up someone who can lead a good discussion, or we can do it all free-form. We'll see how it goes and decide what to do for next month.

Oh yeah, and a shameless plug for my former place of work: if you're thinking about buying the book, you can support BikePortland as well as Powell's by getting it (and/or any other book) through this link: http://www.powells.com/ppbs/33501_1320.html?p_bkslv

Any thoughts, ideas, feedback, excitement, concern?
Elly

Eleanor Blue

May 10, 2010, 12:41:51 PM5/10/10
to Portland car-free happy hour
Sorry -- CFHH is the third Thursday of every month, from 5:30 to 7:30 at Floyd's in Old Town (118 NW Couch). Lets start talking books around 6? See you there!
Elly