Performance issues with simple installation

a.ser...@technotraffic.com

Apr 10, 2013, 2:38:22 PM4/10/13
to pdt-extensi...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

The first thing I have to say is great job! It will make php developing under eclipse something much more awesome =)

So, I installed the latest eclipse kepler 4.3, pdt & dltk nightly build, and most of the extensions here. Then I opened a relatively small sf2 project, 3 files, and while playing around few minutes with the formatter, saving and such afterwards, it became so slow and sluggish that my whole computer became barely usable, a 6 core 3.2ghz with 16gb of ram with a 680 gtx video card, ssd drive on linux and enlightenment light window & desktop manager.

I do have a tweaked eclipse.ini file I was using for Juno but it might be different for kepler so my question is simply what do you guys do to make it all usable?

Thanks!

a.ser...@technotraffic.com

Apr 10, 2013, 6:04:43 PM4/10/13
to pdt-extensi...@googlegroups.com, a.ser...@technotraffic.com
I may have posted too soon the above.

The first thing I did was uninstall MakeGood since I kept seeing it trying to do things constantly even when I disabled tests on save. That helped the sluggish part.

I also just now changed this:
--launcher.XXMaxPermSize
256m
-XX:MaxPermSize=256m
-Xms40m
-Xmx512m

To this:
--launcher.XXMaxPermSize
1024m
-XX:MaxPermSize=1024m
-Xms160m
-Xmx1536m

So far, it seems ok. I have few hours of work to catch up so I'll wait after that to say if I will be able to stick to kepler instead of juno along with these shiny new PDT plugins =)

Robert Gründler

Apr 11, 2013, 2:53:29 AM4/11/13
to pdt-extensi...@googlegroups.com, a.ser...@technotraffic.com
Hi,

you might try to drop @iteman a line on github regarding performance issues:

I don't have any problems here on my machines.

For Symfony projects: Make sure that the "vendor" project is marked as derived, so validation is not happening there, that's quite expensive atm.

regards

-robert

phone +43 676 64 57 240

Zieglergasse 65/6
1070 Vienna
Austria

twitter.com/pulse00
github.com/pulse00

KUBO Atsuhiro

Apr 11, 2013, 3:38:36 AM4/11/13

2013/4/11 <a.ser...@technotraffic.com>:
> The first thing I did was uninstall MakeGood since I kept seeing it trying to do things constantly even when I disabled tests on save. That helped the sluggish part.

MakeGood seems to work well with Eclipse Kepler M6 on my ThinkPad
(Ubuntu 12.10).

MakeGood does nothing for monitoring changes even though it is
enabled. It does register the event listener for resource change
events to the workspace, so it will not cause any performance issues.

--
KUBO Atsuhiro e-mail: ku...@iteman.jp

Anthony Servedio

Apr 11, 2013, 9:36:19 AM4/11/13
to pdt-extensi...@googlegroups.com
Hi, and thank you for your replies!

@Robert: Thanks for the tip! I was never sure how to improve performance in regards to outside libraries!

@Kubo: In the next few days, I'll repeat what I did and report back to you. I didn't quite know how to configure MakeGood.. perhaps my partial configuration of it triggered an issue? All I can say for now is that in the Progress tab in eclipse, MakeGood was piling up 2-3 tasks a couple of times each minutes. More to come on this.

Thanks guys!