Getting document metadata within custom annotation's draw method

Aleks Clark

Jun 23, 2014, 12:39:13 PM6/23/14
to pdfnet-w...@googlegroups.com
Greetings,

I'm working on a method of including image annotations in XOD/XFDF, and need to access some data about the document (id, etc) from within the draw method of the custom annotation, in order to set an image url. How can I do this?

Thanks,

Aleks

Matt Parizeau

Jun 23, 2014, 9:14:05 PM6/23/14
to pdfnet-w...@googlegroups.com
Hi Aleks,

You could access the document id through readerControl.doc_id and if you wanted to get the Document object you could use readerControl.docViewer.GetDocument()

Matt Parizeau
Software Developer
PDFTron Systems Inc.

Aleks Clark

Jun 23, 2014, 10:58:00 PM6/23/14
to pdfnet-w...@googlegroups.com
Hey Matt,

Yea, I got that figured out which solves the immediate problem, but I would like a more general way of passing data from the instantiating javascript into custom viewer code, (annotations, buttons, etc).I mean I guess I could urlencode EVERYTHING into the ID string but that seems a bit clunky :)

Matt Parizeau

Jun 24, 2014, 12:54:00 PM6/24/14
to pdfnet-w...@googlegroups.com
Hi Aleks,

You can take a look at the WebViewer Developer Guide on page 13 under the section "Pass Custom Data through WebViewer". Under the hood it's basically doing what you're saying, URL encoding/decoding for you.

Maybe you could use the custom parameter to pass URLs to where the annotation or button data is stored and then load them dynamically (e.g. with $.get).

Matt Parizeau
Software Developer
PDFTron Systems Inc.