Re: Silverlight web-viewer Product Roadmap

Support

Jan 28, 2013, 6:14:13 PM1/28/13
to pdfnet-w...@googlegroups.com
We are unsure what are Microsoft plans for Silverlight. During ‘Silverlight Firestarter’ MS assured everyone that they will keep on pushing the platform, however many say this is not the case. For example, PDFTron did not receive a response after multiple bug reports and the issues are still not resolved even in the latest Silverlight runtime.

PDFTron is planning to support both Silverlight & Flash web clients for foreseeable future. HTML5 support is not available on older browsers (which are still in wide use), and the WebViewer can fall back on alternate technologies when HTML5 Canvas is not available. Both Silverlight & Flash offer some benefits over HTML5. Also we have many users that are exclusively using Silverlight.

Having said this, if the main reason you are using the WebViewer is to reach as many number of users with your content _and_ you are planning extensive work/customizations of the ReaderControl, than HTML5 would be the way to go.

On Monday, January 28, 2013 1:56:19 AM UTC-8, Suyog Kale wrote:
We are developing web-application which will have Book reader feature.
We are thinking to use PDFTRON SDK and Silverlight web-viewer. But as there are discussions on internet that Microsoft is discontinuing with Silver-light.
So we thought to consult with you regarding PDFTRon Silver-light web-viewer, here are few question for you:

1.What is there on your PDFTRon Silverlight web-viewer Product Road-map in terms of:
a.New API/Features support
b.Continue/discontinue on Silverlight web-viewer development
c.If Microsoft news is correct then how long you are going to support Silverlight web-viewer and development?
2.What is PDFTron Product Road-map for HTML5 web-viewer.

Support

Jan 28, 2013, 7:15:00 PM1/28/13
to pdfnet-w...@googlegroups.com