XOD to PDF, annotation format, frameworks

Support

Mar 19, 2014, 2:25:54 PM3/19/14
to pdfnet-w...@googlegroups.com
Q:

1.    Is there any option to convert XOD to PDF? Are API’s available to support conversion of XOD to <native_format> and vice-versa. Is it possible to store the native PDF back in PDF format after applying annotations?

2.    Are annotations stored as overlay within same PDF? What does XOD file format store (PDF+annotations)?

3.    We’ve requirement to implement annotate feature as part of Oracle ADF UI. Can you please share list of frameworks supported?

-----------

1.    Is there any option to convert XOD to PDF? Are API’s available to support conversion of XOD to <native_format> and vice-versa. Is it possible to store the native PDF back in PDF format after applying annotations?

With PDFNet SDK, you can convert XOD back into PDF (e.g. with pdftron.PDF.Convert.ToPdf() or FromXps()). However, we do not support conversions back to Microsoft Office formats. Generally, we recommend keeping the original document (in native format). Converting from XOD back to PDF loses quality.

And because annotations created from WebViewer (with the XOD) is exportable, you can import the annotations back into your original PDF file.

2.    Are annotations stored as overlay within same PDF? What does XOD file format store (PDF+annotations)?

We store annotations in the XFDF format (an xml based format; upcoming ISO standard). During conversion, we embed existing annotations in the original document into the XOD file.

Once loaded in WebViewer, the annotations are to be saved externally, as an XFDF file.

3.    We’ve requirement to implement annotate feature as part of Oracle ADF UI. Can you please share list of frameworks supported?

If you're just talking about integrating WebViewer into your existing application (I assume is based on JSF), then it is just a matter of putting WebViewer in an iframe, or just including WebViewer with plain HTML/JS.

WebViewer HTML5 is implemented with pure HTML/CSS/JS, so it is independent of what framework you use. (Basically, you need a framework that allows you to use plain HTML, CSS and JavaScript, with jQuery UI)

Though note that saving/loading annotations does require a server component. (It should be a simple GUI-less script that handles input/put, like a REST method)