PDFNet SDK vs DocPub

ch...@cwfent.com

Jun 14, 2013, 1:35:50 PM6/14/13
to pdfnet-w...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

It appears In respects to just creating a xod document for webviewer that you can use either PDFNet SDK or DocPub (if not using the cloud api). Is there any details on the difference between the two of them and why would I want to use one over the other?

TIA

Matt Parizeau

Jun 14, 2013, 1:50:35 PM6/14/13
to pdfnet-w...@googlegroups.com
Basically DocPub is used from the command line and is only used for converting documents.  PDFNet provides document processing capability as well and is much more powerful.  You can find more information on this page: http://www.pdftron.com/pdfnet/webviewer/download.html

Matt Parizeau
Software Developer
PDFTron Systems Inc.

ch...@cwfent.com

Jun 14, 2013, 5:18:44 PM6/14/13
to pdfnet-w...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Matt, I know that there is a lot more you can do with the SDK but I'm just trying to see if there is any benifit purely from a stand point of creating xod's from pdf's for the webviewer. For us it seems like every person that makes a PDF uses something different (multi ad, in-design, distiller etc) and we have problems from time to time converting them (either locally or on issuu.com etc), so we know nothing works 100% of the time but would our success rate be greater with the SDK or would the SDK maybe provide more details in a conversion failure?

That's the kind of info I'm looking for if that makes any sense.

Thanks!

Matt Parizeau

Jun 17, 2013, 1:20:08 PM6/17/13
to pdfnet-w...@googlegroups.com
Fundamentally there isn't any difference if you're just converting normal, non-password protected PDF files to XOD as both provide the same conversion options.  However if you wanted to do some sort of processing on the PDF files before converting or use other advanced features then PDFNet would be the way to go.

Matt Parizeau
Software Developer
PDFTron Systems Inc.