doc.Close() time?

James Dustin

Mar 30, 2014, 11:53:23 PM3/30/14
to pdfne...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I'm using the PDFNetC dll and when deleting a lot of pages from a large PDF the call to doc.close() seem to take a long time.

for example with a 500 page document and deleting half the pages saving the file with doc.Save(   fileName, SDFDoc::e_remove_unused, 0)  takes about 6 seconds but doc.Close() is taking 45 seconds.

any ideas?

thanks,
James

Aaron Gravesdale

Mar 31, 2014, 7:34:52 PM3/31/14
to pdfne...@googlegroups.com

Thank you for letting us know that you're seeing this behaviour.  Slow PDFDoc.Close() calls can happen if you're running inside a debugger (which, based on your PDFDoc.Save() time, sounds likely to be the case).  Even in release builds, running PDFDoc.Close() without a debugger attached is usually much faster.

Please let me know whether that helps and if you have any further questions.

Support

Mar 31, 2014, 7:45:53 PM3/31/14
to pdfne...@googlegroups.com

There running times seem to be extremely long, so I assume you are either dealing with extremely large & strange PDF or you are running on 286 :)   If you can send us a sample document to support at pdftron and well take a look. If you are concerned about confidentiality we will destroy all files when the case is closed.

James Dustin

Mar 31, 2014, 11:06:53 PM3/31/14
to pdfne...@googlegroups.com
Ah! Thank you.
I retried the scenario without the debugger running and the close time dropped to 51 milliseconds!
That's a bit faster :)

many thanks,
James