PDF Convert Add-on

Support

Jul 18, 2012, 10:09:06 PM7/18/12
to pdfne...@googlegroups.com

Q:

A quick question, I am confused as to what the “Convert Add-on” license actually does?  Is this a separate DLL?  Or does it just enable functionality of PDFNet.dll?

If I understand this correctly, the “Convert” feature is basically the ability to use the virtual print driver.  Is that right?

Also this item concerns me: Support for high quality conversion from Word, Excel, Outlook, or PowerPoint via Office interop.

Does this mean I have to Word installed on my server to convert?  Is it using Word automation?

Most Add-ons simply unlock specific API-s/functionality within PDFNet.DLL (i.e. you don’t need extra DLLs).

+ It MS Office is installed, MS Office files will be converted directly (via COM intretop) and not via the virtual printer driver.

+ It MS Office is not installed, MS Office files will be converted indirectly via PDFTron PDFNet Virtual Printer.

+ PDFNet Converter Add-on also includes a number of direct converters (e.g. PDF->XPS, XPS->PDF, PDF/XPS->SVG, TXT, to/from EMF/WMF, to/from images, to/from HTML, etc) that do not reply on either Office or virtual printer driver.

For more info please see pdftron.PDF.Convert namespace in PDFNet API Reference.