How can I tell if a PDF has forms in AcroForm or XFA format?

Support

Jan 21, 2009, 7:10:25 PM1/21/09
to PDFTron PDFNet SDK
Q: How can I tell if the document has names in AcroForm or XFA format?
I'll be dealing with a mixture and I can't control it.

I found an article, "Does PDFNet SDK support XFA/LiveCycle PDF
forms?," in this forum and would like to flag all XFA documents.

------
A: A PDF document may contain only AcroForms, only XFA Forms, or
both. For purposes of long term PDF archiving and compatibility it is
not recommended to use XFA/LiveCycle Forms (as described in the
article).

To check if a PDF document contains XFA (LiveCycle Designer) Forms you
could use the following snippet:

Obj acro_form = pdfdoc.GetAcroForm();
if (acro_form != null)
{
// This PDF document contains forms...
if (acro_form.FindObj("XFA") != null) {
// This PDF document contains XFA forms...
}
}