framework not found for -framework BrowserEngineKit

Benoit Blanchon

Apr 24, 2024, 3:11:17 AMApr 24
to pdfium
Hi there!

I'm looking for help building PDFium for iOS with V8 enabled.
It's been working fine, but two weeks ago, I started to get the following error:

> ld64.lld: error: framework not found for -framework BrowserEngineKit

Please find more details about the issue (including the command line causing this error, and some investigation) here:

Best regards,
Benoit

Lei Zhang

Apr 24, 2024, 1:37:11 PMApr 24
to Benoit Blanchon, pdfium
In general, if the build stopped working after a code update, then I
would suggest finding the commit that triggered the issue. I suspect
[1] might be the culprit. It is a very small change, so try reverting
that and see if the build works again.

[1] https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/build/+/0c2d40d0f13b248b6ceb4a7b7bec21e4584a04b4

Benoit Blanchon

Apr 25, 2024, 6:08:29 AMApr 25
to Lei Zhang, pdfium
I followed your advice and reverted the following commits:
Unfortunately, I still get the same error.

I looked at all the commits between e5ff2eff3ba548792433766073b4399d506ec8db (chromium/6406, the last successful build) bbc1efa4ce09a306328744c508d208407d5978a6 (chromium/6420, the first failing build) and could not find one that could explain the issue.

Any other suggestions?

Lei Zhang

Apr 26, 2024, 11:34:14 AMApr 26
to Benoit Blanchon, pdfium
Run git bisect between the known good and bad commits.

On Thu, Apr 25, 2024 at 3:08 AM Benoit Blanchon

Benoit Blanchon

Apr 27, 2024, 9:08:27 AMApr 27
to Lei Zhang, pdfium
git bisect didn't give reliable results.
I think simply checking out a different version of the build repository isn't sufficient.
Do I need to run a command after checkout?

Benoit Blanchon

Apr 30, 2024, 11:18:40 AMApr 30
to Lei Zhang, pdfium

Miklos Vajna

Apr 30, 2024, 4:44:14 PMApr 30
to pdfium
Hi Benoit,

On Sat, Apr 27, 2024 at 03:08:14PM +0200, Benoit Blanchon <benoit....@gmail.com> wrote:
> git bisect didn't give reliable results.
> I think simply checking out a different version of the build repository
> isn't sufficient.
> Do I need to run a command after checkout?

Possibly you need to run 'gclient sync' each time you checkout a new
commit.

Regards,

Miklos

Lei Zhang

Apr 30, 2024, 8:25:45 PMApr 30
to Benoit Blanchon, pdfium
Yes, the V8 change did add the dependency. Maybe the author has some
ideas why it works in V8 / Chromium, but does not work for your
project.

On Tue, Apr 30, 2024 at 8:18 AM Benoit Blanchon