Using abseil in PDFium

Lei Zhang

Sep 28, 2021, 12:58:11 PM9/28/21
to pdfium
Hi everyone,

Just as a heads up, PDFium will start using abseil [1] in the near
future, with similar allowed usage as Chromium. See the entry in the
issue tracker [2] for more info, and star the issue for updates.

[1] https://github.com/abseil/abseil-cpp
[2] https://crbug.com/pdfium/1726

Miklos Vajna

Nov 11, 2021, 3:40:28 AM11/11/21
to Lei Zhang, pdfium
Hi Lei,

On Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 09:57:55AM -0700, Lei Zhang <the...@chromium.org> wrote:
> Just as a heads up, PDFium will start using abseil [1] in the near
> future, with similar allowed usage as Chromium. See the entry in the
> issue tracker [2] for more info, and star the issue for updates.

As far as I see, currently this is only a build-time dependency. Do you
have any plans to also depend on the non-header-only part of abseil as
well?

Just curious, though certainly consuming pdfium is easier if it stays a
build-time dependency.

Thanks,

Miklos

Lei Zhang

Nov 17, 2021, 2:07:07 PM11/17/21
to Miklos Vajna, pdfium
On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 12:40 AM Miklos Vajna <vmi...@vmiklos.hu> wrote:
> As far as I see, currently this is only a build-time dependency. Do you
> have any plans to also depend on the non-header-only part of abseil as
> well?

From PDFium's perspective, it just has a GN rule that depends on the
abseil target. Specifically, the copy of abseil that Chromium is
using. What that dependency brings in may change over time. Whether it
will or not is more of a question for abseil upstream and the folks
taking care of Chromium's copy.

Miklos Vajna

Nov 18, 2021, 2:47:55 AM11/18/21
to Lei Zhang, pdfium
Hi Lei,

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 11:06:52AM -0800, Lei Zhang <the...@chromium.org> wrote:
> From PDFium's perspective, it just has a GN rule that depends on the
> abseil target. Specifically, the copy of abseil that Chromium is
> using. What that dependency brings in may change over time. Whether it
> will or not is more of a question for abseil upstream and the folks
> taking care of Chromium's copy.

I see, makes sense. I just updated LibreOffice's pdfium to a new enough
version that uses abseil and it turns out that non-header-only usage is
not as problematic as I expected, so my concern is resolved. :-)

Regards,

Miklos