Flushing urine to the sewer in other ways besides the toilet

no...@webtv.net

Mar 28, 2005, 7:35:14 PM3/28/05
I'm an old male geezer living alone and as a way to conserve water, I've
been wondering if it would be harmful to the pipes it I collected urine
in a bottle and poured it down a sink with running water? Using a large
toilet bowl to flush urine to the sewer seems so extravagant in
water-hungry Southern Calif, yet letting urine stand in the toilet bowl
for any period of time will stain the bowl. I realize that I'm using
water if I used the sink, but the amount would be much smaller than
using the toilet bowl. I feel that with a 'straight' pipe going to the
sewer it should be no problem, but I notice that all drain pipes from a
sink have that "crook" in them for some reason and am wondering if the
urine would 'settle' there in spite of the running water and mess up the
pipes.

Mike Grooms

Mar 30, 2005, 10:43:25 PM3/30/05

<no...@webtv.net>

Notice how nobody's answered? It won't hurt anything, but it's just too
icky to write about.

Blackbeard

Mar 30, 2005, 11:49:39 PM3/30/05
Well...er...

yes, you can save urine in jars and dump it into your sink. However,
the urine will stand in that crook part and as it sours will release
foul smelling gases into your house. That crook is called a trap. It
stays filled with water to prevent sewer gases from coming back into
your house. But dumping urine directly into the trap, you're creating
problems for yourself.

I don't know how you're strapped for cash. But you may want to
consider using a grey-water system that will allow you to flush your
toilet with rainwater instead of city water. That would be a lot more
sanitary. It would cost a little more up front, but you would see
significant savings on your water bill.

Mike Grooms

Mar 31, 2005, 10:18:35 AM3/31/05

"Blackbeard"

Are you going to tell us you don't pee in the kitchen sink to save a trip
upstairs??? We know better.

Bill C

Mar 31, 2005, 12:34:10 PM3/31/05
I think that most would consider a yellow ring around the toilet less
offensive that a smell pee pipe. And that ring could probably be managed
with a dash of bleach after each flush.

<no...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Mike Grooms

Mar 31, 2005, 1:45:07 PM3/31/05

<no...@webtv.net>

I'll also mention that as long as you run water for five seconds after
using your new found urinal, all the urine will flush out of the trap, and
there won't be an odor problem. Just rinse the sink real good, OK?

no...@webtv.net

Mar 31, 2005, 1:51:32 PM3/31/05
Thanks for the replies inspite of the
"ickiness" of the subject. Now relative to the release of foul odors in
the house, I forgot to mention that along with being an old geezer, I
have lost ALL my sense of smell, but it's obvious that when my daughters
and grandkids come for a visit they would sense something. So....OK,
folks.....to relieve all anxiety among the readers, I'll continue to use
the stool!!!

Thanks again...

Jeff Wisnia

Mar 31, 2005, 8:25:59 PM3/31/05

Get your kids to chip in and buy you a waterless urinal and pay for its
installation:

http://www.waterless.com/index.php

I've been encountering them at hotels and such in my travels.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

Ned Flanders

Mar 31, 2005, 9:23:20 PM3/31/05
I have been wondering if you could dump the waterless urnial liquid in a
regular toilet.
Or for that matter a jug of scented oil. That becomes your piss toilet.
I love to piss outside myself, just relax..no aiming or nuthin.

"Jeff Wisnia" <jwi...@conversent.net> wrote in message

tja

Apr 9, 2005, 12:12:38 AM4/9/05
I hope you don't plan on having Thanksgiving at your house. If you do, I'm
sure everyone will bring something.

Red Jacket

Jun 9, 2005, 10:30:21 AM6/9/05
Having been in my share of hospitals, I seen plenty
of RNs do it with mine !
Some dump it in the showers.

Martkimwat

Sep 19, 2021, 11:01:21 AM9/19/21
The 'U' bend is there to prevent sewage odours and also prevent vermin and cockroaches from climbing up into your house! it needs to be full of fluid to work. If it is not used for a long time and is allowed to dry out, you will soon know about!

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/plumbing/flushing-urine-to-the-sewer-in-other-ways-besides-the-toilet-70-.htm