Water heater

MichaelK

Jun 19, 2022, 4:16:32 PM6/19/22
$6+ heating oil prices got me thinking about lowering the costs...
I wild like to conduct an expert opinion poll.
I have a tankless water heater (coil) in my oil-fired furnace. Heating is baseboards plus mini-splits. I'd say we use oil to heat the house no more than 50% of time. Boston winters are warm enough for mini-splits, we keep temperature low (we heat only occupied rooms. warm clothing is dirt cheap compared with heating, sleeping at 54degF under down comforter is actually very pleasant ;o) ). By we I mean active 60+ couple.

What I am getting to is this:
1. coil water heater is more efficient (than tank) only when furnace is used often, isn't it?
2. we make an effor to use furnace less
3. we do not use furnace in the Summer.
Questions:
1. At what point tankless water heater loses it's efficiency advantage compared with (well insulated) hot water tank?
2. I can think of only about separate-heating-zone water heater. Are there other (more efficient) options/technologies?
3. What is the installation cost (parts and labor) in Boston area (ballpark, say, +-30%)?
I hope this topic would be of interest to many people, thank you for reading.