Is turning off water to outside faucet at 20 degrees okay?

Arnie Goetchius

Nov 18, 2018, 8:08:14 PM11/18/18
I have an out door faucet which is fed from a pipe in my basement. The basement temperature is never
less than 70 degrees. The pipe to the outside goes through a concrete block wall to the outside
where the faucet is attached. I have heard that I need to turn off the water to the faucet and drain
the pipe when the outdoor temperature reaches 20 degrees. Is that a good "rule of thumb"?

Jen

Aug 13, 2020, 9:44:02 AM8/13/20
replying to Arnie Goetchius, Jen wrote:
Its just that if you change pipe below the temperature of 20 degrees that it
may freeze. So there isn't a thumb rule but it is preferred to be done that
way.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/plumbing/is-turning-off-water-to-outside-faucet-at-20-degrees-okay-5960-.htm