length markings on sewer snake?

bill allemann

Jun 20, 2004, 9:42:07 AM6/20/04
I have a General with a 3/4" cable and have tried paint to mark lengths, but
it doesn't last. Is there a method of doing this maybe with fiber of some
sort tied onto the inner cable?
thanks
Bill

Runningwater

Jun 20, 2004, 8:08:33 PM6/20/04

If you figure out something let us all know, cause im curious as well

Runningwater

Jun 20, 2004, 8:33:26 PM6/20/04

Ebo Walker

Jun 20, 2004, 10:52:04 PM6/20/04

Differnet color tape. Electrical or duck. ie green at 20' red at 40
and so on. about every 2 or 3 sewers, pull old tape off and retape as
you send it down the pipe.

Blackbeard

Jun 21, 2004, 8:03:23 AM6/21/04
If you set your welder on a low setting and lightly touch the cable
with your electrode, it will leave a little scorch mark on the cable
that is permanant. Every 20-feet works great. I've tried tape and
paint and the only thing that was permanant was the welder mark. It's
a good question though. I wish they manufactured some sort of markers
for sewer cables.

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 00:08:33 GMT, "Runningwater"

Mark Monson

Jun 21, 2004, 8:15:43 AM6/21/04

"Blackbeard" <Blackbeard...@Lycos.com> wrote in message

> If you set your welder on a low setting and lightly touch the cable
> with your electrode, it will leave a little scorch mark on the cable
> that is permanant. Every 20-feet works great. I've tried tape and
> paint and the only thing that was permanant was the welder mark. It's
> a good question though. I wish they manufactured some sort of markers
> for sewer cables.

The weld tack may be the only permanent way to do it. In any case, marking the
cable is a great idea. Maybe the machine itself could have a counter that runs off
a rubber wheel contacting the cable as it feeds out, or to get more high tech, a
digital counter that uses some kind of optics so that it doesn't need to touch the
cable.

MM

Runningwater

Jun 21, 2004, 9:15:01 PM6/21/04

> If you set your welder on a low setting and lightly touch the cable
> with your electrode, it will leave a little scorch mark on the cable
> that is permanant. Every 20-feet works great. I've tried tape and
> paint and the only thing that was permanant was the welder mark. It's
> a good question though. I wish they manufactured some sort of markers
> for sewer cables.

See this is why you should listen to these old guys,,
I would have never thought of this, and have been struggling estimating
lenghts for years.
Im just gonna do this, but maybe a small tack at 10 ft. lenghts.

Where do I send the consutation fee at? Cause this is a wondeful idea!

bill allemann

Jun 22, 2004, 11:22:43 AM6/22/04
can you see the marks when the cable is messy, or can you only feel
them?
bill

Blackbeard

Jun 22, 2004, 4:43:51 PM6/22/04
You'll be able to see the marks. It's just a mark. It is visible. But
you're not marking it with dayglo yellow. If you get into some real
nasty work, it's not going to be super easy to see. You can put larger
marks on there if want. That's a personal choice. I recommend marking
enough to see. If you get too agressive with that welder, you may fuck
up your cable.

Winston

Jun 23, 2004, 2:11:09 AM6/23/04
Has anyone tried using a carbide tipped engraver to mark
the snake at intervals?

Engravers are US$18 at a local hobby shop.

--Winston

mlkary

May 31, 2023, 1:31:59 PM5/31/23
I am thinking of electrical heat shrink tubing and maybe some super glue gel before I shrink it. Have to see how long it will last. I know they make some extra thick heat shrink but don't know where to get it locally.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/plumbing/length-markings-on-sewer-snake-4557-.htm

mlkary

May 31, 2023, 1:32:00 PM5/31/23
I am thinking electrical heat shrink tubing with maybe some super glue gel before shrinking. It comes in colors.