PD/Max Events at CRASH Space In April

Theron Trowbridge

Jan 22, 2011, 3:33:56 PM1/22/11
to crashspace, pd...@googlegroups.com
The last week of April, CRASH Space will be hosting a series of events focusing on Pure Data and Max/MSP.  This is a bit early, but we're still in the planning stages and I wanted to start gauging interest and invite interested folks to help with the planning.  New Blankets will be helping coordinate the series with CRASH Space.

Pure Data (PD) is a free, open source visual programming environment which is used by musicians, artists, and others to create real-time dynamic applications (http://puredata.info).  Max/MSP is a commercial implementation of PD available from Cycling '74 (http://cycling74.com/products/maxmspjitter/).

We are currently expecting two special guests - Miller Puckette and Hans-Christof Steiner.  More will be added as we get closer to the date.

Miller Puckette (http://crca.ucsd.edu/~msp/) teaches computer music at UC San Diego, and creator of PD and Max/MSP.

Hans-Christof Steiner (http://works.at.or.at/) is the 2011 Artist-In-Transit for New Blankets.  He gives talks and teaches workshops on Pure Data and music, and helps maintain pd-extended, a version of Pure Data that adds a variety of libraries to extend its core functionality.

What are we planning?

Performance of music involving PD/Max by Miller and others.  Date is set for April 30th.  This could be at CRASH Space or elsewhere depending on expected attendance.  If you're interested in performing, let me know.

Round table discussion of the state of PD, possibly the afternoon before the performance.

Workshop on PD, one evening the week before the performance.

There will hopefully also be other related events throughout the community.

In conjunction with these events, we are launching a local Patching Circle - a regular meeting of PD/Max enthusiasts, where people can work on and help each other out with their projects.  We'll figure out when we'll start meeting, and start scheduling them.

To help spread information about the pd-la patching circle, there are several resources:

I also created a page on the wiki: http://crashspace.pbworks.com/w/page/35267603/pd-la%20Patching%20Circle and Hans set up a page on the pd wiki: http://puredata.info/community/LAPatchingCircle.  Both are still a little light on information but will grow over time.

don't tl;dr me, bro

-Theron
^

Hans-Christoph Steiner

Jan 26, 2011, 5:13:50 PM1/26/11
to pd...@googlegroups.com, crashspace

Looking forward to coming to LA!  Theron has laid out the events quite nicely, I up for being involved in all sorts of events and hacking around free software and media.

.hc

Mistrust authority - promote decentralization.  - the hacker ethic

Using ReBirth is like trying to play an 808 with a long stick.    -David Zicarelli