Possible Hardware or software problem

Deborah Anderson

Sep 5, 2012, 6:50:14 PM9/5/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Not sure if this is hardware or software problem, but I'm leaning
toward hardware.
I have:
HP Slimline Tower PC
Win7, NTFS
less than 2y/o

Issue:
About a month ago, PC wouldn't come out of sleep mode & I could hear an
audible "whirring" sound from inside the tower. Can't shut down
normally, so I depressed power button for a hard re-boot.

OS starts OK & all is good until this happened again, a day or so later.
I changed the power settings to stay on & not sleep. Since then I have
experienced this same problem several times/wk. I leave the PC on 24/7.

My husband removed the case & blew out the dust, everything worked OK
for about a wk & then
started happening again, more frequently, several times in the past few
days.
I think it's a heat problem, likely the power supply.?

Device manger shows no problems.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly welcome.

Regards,
Debbie

"Let everyone sweep in front of his own door and the whole world will be
clean." - Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

John Delaney

Sep 7, 2012, 10:36:20 AM9/7/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com, debor...@gmail.com
I would start by going to HP, looking up your model, and making sure your BIOS is the latest version.  If it is not then follow the instructions on the website for updating it (there is most likely a utility that came with the PC that will download and install the update) and see if that clears up the problem.  Most of the time when I experience this issue it's because I am on the an early release of the BIOS and the update resolves the issue...

JohnD

David Moskowitz

Sep 7, 2012, 12:45:18 PM9/7/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com
I concur with JD. The other possibilities include some form of malware, power supply (not heat related), and remotely, heat....

My first guess would be something other than heat (again agree with JD) because once it cools down...  :-))

David