Re: [PCTOL: 15649] Bring the START menu back to Windows 8

David Moskowitz

Oct 19, 2012, 4:42:43 PM10/19/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com
Not surprised -- in fact we BOTh said there's be a 3rd party tool...  :-))

...though I thought we'd get an announcement either close to, or shortly after the official release date. :-)

That's one of the challenges inherent in Windows 8 for anyone with a computer not specifically designed for W8, to say nothing of the learning curve for anyone.

You'd think there might have been a lesson from the Ribbon in Office...  :-)

David

Oct 20, 2012, 9:43:38 AM10/20/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com

I discovered that application early on but be careful if using it as it tries to download mega spyware "FREE" utilities that will seriously crap up your system. As for working well it has to open up every time you boot Windows and it does produce occasional error messages upon doing so but it does restore "Start Menu" all except "Most used programs feature".

RBL

Oct 20, 2012, 11:14:55 AM10/20/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com
You're referring to Stardock? I've used their tools for decades. Never had a spyware problem. They're a well-established software publisher.

David Moskowitz

Oct 20, 2012, 6:45:46 PM10/20/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com
If you're talking about the same product RBL mentioned, then I don't know how else to say this: WRONG!

The claim the Stardock would put spyware, adware or anything remotely similar is fallacious. I've known the people associated with the company since the OS/2 days and even the hint that they'd include this type of junk is...

You need to be careful when you advertise (in this case misguided) opinion as fact.  Further, I have NEVER seen the error message you ascribe to the product.

Btw, The tool is NOT free!

David

David Moskowitz

Oct 20, 2012, 6:49:09 PM10/20/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com
Not just well-established, highly reputable!!!  Even the hint that they'd include spyware borders on libel.

NUTS!

David

Oct 21, 2012, 11:02:47 AM10/21/12
to pc...@googlegroups.com
Sorry you are wrong again David, but yes I am talking about Stardock8 and it is free until the release of Windows 8 since it is a beta now. This is a quote from their website as I know you will debate it otherwise, its what I see you do:

"The latest 0.95 beta fixes some of the issues mentioned in Lincoln Spector's reviewfrom early September. The "Try it for free" button on the Product Information page takes you to the vendor's site, where you can download the latest version of the software. It remains free only until the beta period ends."
And a time saver for you here is the link:
And you are wrong about spyware also because typically Malware gurus know that toolbars  are Windows worst enemy because they are difficult if not impossible to protect. When I installed  Stardock8 about 6 toolbars and services defaulted to choice that I failed to notice and completely junked up my version of Windows 8 beta. I had to uninstall it and reinstall it more carefully to see where I missed all that going in.Actually I was surprised because in my business I have to be so careful to warn all my clients about such things and I can't believe I missed it.