Re: [PCTOL: 16143] Question: Computer History Recovery

David Moskowitz

May 23, 2014, 7:21:19 PM5/23/14
to pc...@googlegroups.com
The advice you were given about Notepad is correct.  Here's why:

Until (and unless) you save the contents of what is in Notepad, the text is stored in RAM (memory) and NOT on the disk. So, when power was lost everything in RAM was lost.

Microsoft Word has a setting that periodically save interim work automatically (I've forgotten the default setting it's somewhere between 10 and 30 minutes).

Notepad requires an explicit manual save, otherwise data is lost.

There is a free tool that you can use to replace Notepad (and it does much more) that will automatically save notes, as well as give you the ability to collect and save a lot more than just Notepad-like text. It also is cross platform so that your note would be available on any device (Android, IOS, Linux, Mac, and Windows) -- and it's free.  Consider Evernote http://www.evernote.com.

I have and use Evernote on my laptop, tablet, phone and more. I am a Premium subscriber (pay for an annual subscription to get addition capabilities), because I use the tool that much. The free account has everything you need to get started.

There is a comparison of the differences here (Texas A & M):
http://guides.library.tamu.edu/content.php?pid=351837&sid=2943218

If you want, you can use this referral link to Evernote and we both benefit:
https://www.evernote.com/referral/Registration.action?uid=9442527&sig=c95588f84e4ea623f700f0a0665a25d3

Any questions...

David

May 24, 2014, 9:38:00 AM5/24/14
to pc...@googlegroups.com
To remember and re-paste clips I use now Clipboard Magic  http://www.cybermatrix.com/clipboard-magic.html?exe , works great in all applications. So does ArsClip http://www.joejoesoft.com/vcms/97/ which I used too. Difficult to decide which is better, Arsclip does have more options, both are free.
Both store to the HD and 'remember' the clips after power down.
Eldad

David Moskowitz

May 24, 2014, 5:29:40 PM5/24/14
to pc...@googlegroups.com
I've used ArsClip, but I don't think that either utility (certainly ArsClip doesn't) save notes the way Korwynn suggested.

I use Notepad primarily as an easy tool to convert any richly formatted text to plain text before pasting it into another application or what I assume will be volatile text entry. If I to keep it I either explicitly save it or copy the text into something else.  I also use notepad as a safe reader of any file (regardless of format) to get some idea what might be in it (or what it is, etc.).

Eldad

May 25, 2014, 12:38:55 PM5/25/14
to pc...@googlegroups.com
David et al
Plain Text is an  excellent free tool to convert to plain text what is on the clipboard, - with one click on it's icon in the sys tray:
 http://www.stevemiller.net/puretext/
Eldad

rble...@gmail.com

May 25, 2014, 2:18:38 PM5/25/14
to pc...@googlegroups.com
My G-Man app does that as well, but PureText looks easier (you have to use the Windows shortcut system to assign a hotkey to Gman -- although you can also simply click its icon in the Taskbar). I’ll have to try it!

--
[In the Universe it may be that] Primitive life is very common and intelligent life is fairly rare. Some would say it has yet to occur on Earth. - Stephen Hawking

Rich Levin ∙ Voice: 484-321-1133 ∙ Skype: RBLevin ∙ http://www.rblevin.org

Joe Mezzanini

May 25, 2014, 2:33:18 PM5/25/14
to pctol
I've used PureText for years..
it works 90% of the time and freaks out once in a while

rble...@gmail.com

May 25, 2014, 3:38:19 PM5/25/14
to pc...@googlegroups.com
G-Man works 100% of the time and NEVER freaks out!!!!

I just installed PureText, though … I like the hotkey configurability

--
[In the Universe it may be that] Primitive life is very common and intelligent life is fairly rare. Some would say it has yet to occur on Earth. - Stephen Hawking

Rich Levin ∙ Voice: 484-321-1133 ∙ Skype: RBLevin ∙ http://www.rblevin.org

Eldad

May 26, 2014, 8:41:44 AM5/26/14
to pc...@googlegroups.com
Rich, I use your wonderful G-Man for years., but only to remove ">>>" from forwarded emails. Did not think of using it to convert to Plain text, but will now.  Thanks again for G-Man, also in the name of quite a few friends that I commended it to.

Eldad

rble...@gmail.com

May 26, 2014, 2:47:59 PM5/26/14
to pc...@googlegroups.com
Thanks 😊

Yes, it converts to plaintext as part of the process.