Question: timing of next release?

Philip Hazel

Oct 28, 2021, 11:08:07 AM10/28/21
to pcre2-dev
There has just been another query as to when 10.39 will be available, because the bug in 10.38 is hitting people. It's still less than a month since 10.38 was released, but what do people think about an early 10.39 release? So far, the only change is the bug fix, but there are some pull requests awaiting my attention (update to Unicode 14 and some configuration tidies), which I will probably deal with within the next few days. I could put out 10.39 when they are done - I don't think another Release Candidate is necessary this time.

Regards,
Philip

Matthew Vernon

Oct 28, 2021, 11:26:19 AM10/28/21
to pcre...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
FWIW, I'd be in favour; I'm lazily putting off uploading a new version
to Debian in the hope of a fixed release coming along soon :)

Regards,

Matthew

enh

Oct 28, 2021, 12:13:48 PM10/28/21
to Matthew Vernon, pcre...@googlegroups.com
yeah, similar for Android: any time you have a worthwhile bug fix, an actual release is helpful to us in terms of process. a small update doesn't cost us much anyway, and "earlier is always better than later" --- no matter what time of year it is, the sooner you have a release, the sooner we take it, and the sooner the bots and meatbag can start banging on it, and the more confidence we can have when it actually ships :-)

(that said, we haven't had trouble with 10.38, but -- especially when we're this far from the next release -- i'm not going to quibble about "important" versus "unimportant" upgrades! even in those kinds of circumstances, "release early and often" is still a help, because it reduces the likelihood that we'll need to backport anything -- because it's already in the oldest branch we need it in -- or the number of places we need to backport too -- because it's at least in _some_ of the older branches.)

Philip Hazel

Oct 29, 2021, 11:24:48 AM10/29/21
to PCRE2 discussion list
OK, there seems to be general support for putting out 10.39. I have just completed working through the pull requests, which are mostly concerned with configuration untidinesses. There seems little point in putting out a Release Candidate, so I will just get on with 10.39 and release it shortly.

Philip

enh

Oct 29, 2021, 6:20:26 PM10/29/21
to Philip Hazel, PCRE2 discussion list