Self test failure on old Fedora

Jeffrey Walton

Jan 13, 2022, 5:05:23 PM1/13/22
to pcre...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

I need to test some programs on some old hardware. In particular,
Fedora 1. PCRE gets built because it is a dependency of the software
that needs testing.

'make check' has a few problems. This is not too surprising given how
old the OS is.

I attached config.log and self test results in case someone is
interested. There may be some low hanging fruit to clear the problems.
Otherwise I would not worry about it too much.

Jeff
pcre-config.log.zip
pcre-test-suite.log.zip

Philip Hazel

Jan 14, 2022, 7:04:00 AM1/14/22
to PCRE2 discussion list
I am assuming from the fact that your file names start "pcre" and not "pcre2" that you are trying to build an old PCRE1 distribution (the 8.xx series). PCRE1 is now obsolete and no longer maintained (PCRE2, the 10.xx series has been around for 7 years now), so I think you've wasted your time reporting this. But thanks for the thought! If I'm wrong in my surmise, please say so and I'll take a look if your PCRE2 version is recent.

Jeffrey Walton

Jan 17, 2022, 1:30:18 PM1/17/22
to Philip Hazel, PCRE2 discussion list
On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 7:04 AM Philip Hazel <philip...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am assuming from the fact that your file names start "pcre" and not "pcre2" that you are trying to build an old PCRE1 distribution (the 8.xx series). PCRE1 is now obsolete and no longer maintained (PCRE2, the 10.xx series has been around for 7 years now), so I think you've wasted your time reporting this. But thanks for the thought! If I'm wrong in my surmise, please say so and I'll take a look if your PCRE2 version is recent.

Yes, it's PCRE1. Sadly, some folks are still using it.

As long as it's being used in the wild I am happy to report the problems.

Jeff