configure producing errors

Jeffrey Birnbaum

Dec 18, 2021, 9:56:08 AM12/18/21
to PCRE2 discussion list
Currently using pcre2 10.33 and wanted to upgrade to 10.39 so cloned the repo and checked out the tag for pcre2-10.39 but configure produces the following:

jmb@pop-os:~/ldev/pcre2$ git status
HEAD detached at pcre2-10.39
nothing to commit, working tree clean

jmb@pop-os:~/ldev/pcre2$ ./configure --with-link-size=3 --with-match-limit=4294967295 --enable-jit --prefix=/home/jmb/gfs/oss/pcre2/10.39-gcc493
./configure: line 2363: syntax error near unexpected token `dist-bzip2'
./configure: line 2363: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(dist-bzip2 dist-zip)'

jmb@pop-os:~/ldev/pcre2$ autoconf
configure.ac:28: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
      See the Autoconf documentation.
configure.ac:46: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PROG_CC_C_O
configure.ac:406: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_MSG_ERROR
configure.ac:493: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_CONDITIONAL

Any thoughts on how to fix?

Jeffrey Birnbaum

Dec 18, 2021, 10:00:43 AM12/18/21
to PCRE2 discussion list

Update: I downloaded the release tar ball and then did the same 'configure' as above and all worked. Any idea why? It seems odd that 'configure' does not work the same (the configure.ac) files are identical.
/JMB

Philip Hazel

Dec 18, 2021, 12:48:36 PM12/18/21
to PCRE2 discussion list
You probably needed to run ./autogen.sh in the cloned repo before running ./configure.

Jeffrey Birnbaum

Dec 18, 2021, 1:23:29 PM12/18/21
to PCRE2 discussion list
Thanks, that makes sense - sorry, I know how to "use" configure but I don't have a lot of reps with autoconf in the past decade.