Re: PCRE2: What's the stable release?

Akbarkhon Variskhanov

Dec 1, 2022, 1:59:31 PM12/1/22
to pcre...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

PCRE2 was first released as 10.00 and now it's at 10.40. Which one is
the stable, vastly available version? Is the first version too old now
to depend on it?

I'm only using pcre2_compile(), pcre2_match_data_create_from_pattern()
and pcre2_match() with their corresponding *_free() functions. Have
they undergone major changes since the first release? I have followed
the current documentation and the pcre2demo program.

Your insight is much appreciated.

Kindly,
Akbar.

hzmester

Dec 2, 2022, 1:20:11 AM12/2/22
to Akbarkhon Variskhanov, pcre...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

10.00: 2015-01-05
10.40: 2022-04-15

So the former is 7 years old. Both are stable releases, and the api is backwards compatible, so you can use the old one, but I recommend to use newer versions. There is no "perfect" release, that is probably impossible anyway.

Regards,
Zoltan

Philip Hazel

Dec 2, 2022, 3:35:22 AM12/2/22
to PCRE2 discussion list
PCRE2 has undergone several major changes since first released. See the ChangeLog entries for 10.23 and 10.30. I too would recommend using the latest release.

Philip

Ze'ev Atlas

Dec 2, 2022, 5:44:33 AM12/2/22
to philip...@gmail.com, PCRE2 discussion list
I would like to add a question.of my own, when is the next release planned.  I hsve some new developments on my z/OS distro and I plan to publish with the next release.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pcre2-dev/9f89e85c-be3e-44fe-8654-066d5f15b711n%40googlegroups.com
.

Philip Hazel

Dec 2, 2022, 7:20:21 AM12/2/22
to PCRE2 discussion list
I am thinking that it should be soon. I don't have anything pending at the moment - I will find out if there is any reason for delaying and if not, get on with it.