Emerald Coast Community of Makers

Jonathan Bowen

Aug 15, 2012, 3:54:20 PM8/15/12
to pcol...@googlegroups.com
Hey,
    I wanted to reach out you you guys and introduce you to our new group. ECCM (eccmakers.com) is a local makerspace that is just getting started. We have a location and unfortunately we got blasted by the flood a few months back. We had not moved in yet but the space has been repaired and we are ready to start ramping up again. Our goal is education for ourselves and the local community. The Long Hollow Neighborhood association has been a great help to us and has allowed us the use of one of their buildings.

   We went by Makerspace Pensacola for a while but now we are a bit more structured and have a name/logo. We recently did a e-waste collection day. One of the goals was to setup several computers for the LHNA. We will be installing linux on all of them. Our next meeting is Aug 25th at 2PM. Our building is located at 1040 North Guillemard Street. We are in building C it is in the back of the lot behind open books.

   If anyone is interested the feel free to stop by and chat with us. We will be discussing an event we are doing with Open Books in September and sorting the computers out.

   I'm trying to reach out to any local groups that are more technically oriented so that they know about us and open the door for us to work together in the future.

Thank you
Jonathan Bowen

Joshua Welch

Aug 15, 2012, 3:57:01 PM8/15/12
to pcol...@googlegroups.com
Will you be able to make our meeting on the 21st? Would love to talk to you then.

Josh

Jonathan Bowen

Aug 15, 2012, 4:19:20 PM8/15/12
to pcol...@googlegroups.com
I can try. I'm not sure what my schedule will be like that week. I should be in that area later around 5pm so I should be able to spend a bit at the space cleaning and organizing then stop by for a bit.

Jonathan

Jonathan Bowen

Aug 15, 2012, 4:22:09 PM8/15/12
to pcol...@googlegroups.com
I just remembered that we have a demo guy coming down from 80/20 inc. They make aluminum frame construction kits. We are planning that tentatively for Tuesday around 5pm. How long are your meetings? I might be able to bring a few of the officers buy and we can chat after the demo.

Joshua Welch

Aug 15, 2012, 4:25:40 PM8/15/12
to pcol...@googlegroups.com
The meetings are generally scheduled to be done in the first hour, HOWEVER, that by no means is when most of our members go home and it is not unusual for us to be hanging out for a couple hours talking Linux.

It starts at 7pm, btw.

Josh